Solution of differential with initial conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the solution for r'(t) = t^2i + 5tj + k, given the initial condition r(1) = j + 2k. The individual providing the summary agrees with the solution provided by the other person, but suggests checking for typos in the book's solution. They also mention that this is not the first typo they have encountered in the book and express frustration at paying for a book with multiple typos.
kahwawashay1
I think my book is giving me the wrong answer...The problem is to find solution of following:

r'(t) = t2[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] + 5t[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + [itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

The initial condition is:
r(1) = [itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + 2[itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

My solution:

r(t) = < (1/3)t3 + c1 , (5/2)t2 + c2 , t+c3 >

r(1) = < 0 , 1 , 2 >
r(1) = < (1/3)+c1 , (5/2)+c2 , 1+c3 >

Therefore:
< 0 , 1 , 2 > = < (1/3)+c1 , (5/2)+c2 , 1+c3 >

Solving for the three c's yields:
c1 = -(1/3)
c2 = -1.5
c3 = 1

And so the solution with the initial conditions is:
< (1/3)t3 - (1/3) , (5/2)t2 -1.5 , t+1 >

My book gives the solution as:
< (1/3)t3 , (5/2)t2 + 1 , t+2 >

Who is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks fine to me. Possibly there is a typo in the book's solution, or maybe you are not working the same problem.

In the future, you can check these problems very easily. When you have your solution, check that
1) the initial condition is satisfied. For your problem, you're checking that r(1) = <0, 1, 2>, and
2) your solution satisfies the differential equation. Here, you're checking that r'(t) = <t^2, 5t, 1>.

Mark44 said:
Your work looks fine to me. Possibly there is a typo in the book's solution, or maybe you are not working the same problem.

In the future, you can check these problems very easily. When you have your solution, check that
1) the initial condition is satisfied. For your problem, you're checking that r(1) = <0, 1, 2>, and
2) your solution satisfies the differential equation. Here, you're checking that r'(t) = <t^2, 5t, 1>.

thanks!
yea i checked a thousand times if i am working the same problem as the book and i am.
i think the book meant to give the initial condition at r(0) not r(1)

this is like the third typo in this book so far..i can't believe i paid some 120$ for bunch of typos!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model a wide variety of natural phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What is the solution of a differential equation?

The solution of a differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation and its initial conditions. It represents the relationship between the variables in the equation.

3. What are initial conditions in a differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of a function and its derivatives at a specific point in the domain. They are used to determine the unique solution of a differential equation.

4. How is the solution of a differential equation with initial conditions found?

The solution of a differential equation with initial conditions is found by using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a specific formula for the type of equation. The solution can also be plotted on a graph to visualize the relationship.

5. Why are initial conditions important in solving a differential equation?

Initial conditions are crucial in solving a differential equation because they help determine the specific solution that satisfies the given conditions. Without initial conditions, the solution of a differential equation may not be unique, and it may not accurately represent the problem being modeled.