1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution space of linear homogeneous PDE forms a vector space?

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Claim:
    The solution space of a linear homogeneous PDE Lu=0 (where L is a linear operator) forms a "vector space".

Proof:
    Assume Lu=0 and Lv=0 (i.e. have two solutions)
    (i) By linearity, L(u+v)=Lu+Lv=0
    (ii) By linearity, L(au)=a(Lu)=(a)(0)=0
    => any linear combination of the solutions of a linear homoegenous PDE solves the PDE
    => it forms a vector space

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution and comments
    Now, I don't understand why ONLY by proving (i) and (ii) alone would lead us to conclude that it is a vector space. There are like TEN properties that we have to prove before we can say that it is a vector sapce, am I not right?
    Are there any theorem or alternative definition that they have been using?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

maybe consider the other axioms and test them, some may have been considered more bovious, but always worth checking

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Other things are satisfied by the definition of functions, for example u+v=v+u is obvious and not a property of being a solution of a PDE. It may be implicitly assumed that you're talking about the subset of the vector space of all functions from U to V (where U and V are Rm and Rn such that you'd be looking for solutions with that domain and codomain). In that case you only have to prove the two subspace properties

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook