Solution to real and complex polynomial function?

In summary, a polynomial function is a mathematical function consisting of variables, coefficients, and exponents. It can have real or complex solutions and is written in the form of f(x) = a<sub>n</sub>x<sup>n</sup> + a<sub>n-1</sub>x<sup>n-1</sup> + ... + a<sub>1</sub>x + a<sub>0</sub>. Real polynomial functions have real number coefficients and variables, while complex polynomial functions have complex number coefficients and variables, allowing for both real and imaginary solutions. Solutions to polynomial functions can be found using methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational root theorem, with the fundamental theorem of algebra being
Mandynash

Homework Statement

Hi, I have been given the polynomial function P(z)=4z^4 -12z^2 +3z +19
I need to Establish the main technique/s required to solve the polynomial.
Then I need to find the solution of the polynomial?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea where to start.

Homework Equations

P(z)=4z^4 -12z^2 +3z +19

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
by solve i guess you mean factor, well you can tell it has no real roots, how about using teh fact its roots must be congjugates then

Related to Solution to real and complex polynomial function?

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a type of mathematical function that is made up of variables, coefficients, and exponents. It can have real or complex solutions and is written in the form of f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where the variables x and a are real or complex numbers.

2. What is the difference between a real and complex polynomial function?

A real polynomial function has real number coefficients and variables, meaning that all solutions to the function will also be real numbers. A complex polynomial function has complex number coefficients and variables, meaning that the solutions to the function can be both real and imaginary numbers.

3. How do you find the solutions to a real and complex polynomial function?

To find the solutions to a real and complex polynomial function, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational root theorem. For complex polynomial functions, you may also need to use the fundamental theorem of algebra to find all of the solutions.

4. Can a polynomial function have more than one solution?

Yes, a polynomial function can have multiple solutions. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial function of degree n will have exactly n solutions, counting multiplicity. This means that some solutions may be repeated.

5. How do the solutions to a polynomial function affect the graph of the function?

The solutions to a polynomial function are also known as the roots or zeros of the function. These points on the graph where the function crosses the x-axis are important because they tell us the x-values where the function is equal to zero. The number and location of these solutions can affect the shape and behavior of the graph of the polynomial function.