Solution to the integral,i.e, expected value of a function of normal variable

In summary: To ait.abd: You need to learn how to do numerical integration sometime. If this is the right integral, that sometime is now.
ait.abd
I want to calculate [itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{(-(x-\mu)/\sigma^2)} log_2 (1 + e^{-x}) dx[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to use numerical techniques. The above integral doesn't have a closed form solution in the elementary functions.

D H said:
You'll need to use numerical techniques. The above integral doesn't have a closed form solution in the elementary functions.

can any approximation be made?

ait.abd said:
can any approximation be made?

Hey ait.abd and welcome to the forums.

Numerical techniques are ones that give approximate answers in general. You can supply parameters to get a good enough approximation (like for example a number good enough to say 4 decimal places) for the better implementations.

If you are unsure, just use a common package for numerical calculation.

You should probably try searching online for a numeric integrator Java applet, or go to www.wolframalpha.com and enter in your expression to get an approximate answer.

chiro said:
Hey ait.abd and welcome to the forums.

Numerical techniques are ones that give approximate answers in general. You can supply parameters to get a good enough approximation (like for example a number good enough to say 4 decimal places) for the better implementations.

If you are unsure, just use a common package for numerical calculation.

You should probably try searching online for a numeric integrator Java applet, or go to www.wolframalpha.com and enter in your expression to get an approximate answer.

Thanks chiro. But, wolfram online integrator doesn't work for this expression as it tries to compute the exact expression. I can perform numerical integration but I want answer in terms of $a$ and $b$. Numerical integration will calculate the answer for a particular $a$ and $b$.

ait.abd said:
Thanks chiro. But, wolfram online integrator doesn't work for this expression as it tries to compute the exact expression. I can perform numerical integration but I want answer in terms of $a$ and $b$. Numerical integration will calculate the answer for a particular $a$ and $b$.

If you need something analytical, you're going to have to develop some sort of approximation for the integral for certain parameter regimes. For example, for [itex]\sigma \rightarrow 0[/itex], the Gaussian essentially becomes a delta function and you would get

[tex]\log_2(1+e^{-\mu})\left[\Theta(b-\mu)+\Theta(\mu - a)\right][/tex]
as the result (the step functions [itex]\Theta[/itex] guarantee that mu is between a and b). So, for [itex]\sigma[/itex] small, a rather crude approximation might be

[tex]\log_2(1+e^{-\mu}) \int_a^b \frac{dx}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma} \exp\left[-\frac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}\right],[/tex]
where the integral can be evaluated in terms of the error function. There is a more systematic way to generate this approximation called the method of steepest descent. (You'll have to look that up in a book; I'm afraid the wikipedia article isn't very helpful).

You might also be able to write down an infinite series for the integral. However, when I tried this by expanding the logarithm in powers of e^(-x), I got a sum which looks like it doesn't converge, indicating that either I made a mistake in my calculation or that switching the integral and sum isn't valid in this case.

Just looking at the form of equation. It seems that complex contour integral MAY work.

The integral in the original post does NOT involve [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex]. It is, rather, of the form [itex]e^{-x}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The integral in the original post does NOT involve [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex]. It is, rather, of the form [itex]e^{-x}[/itex].
I suspect that that may have been a typo. Even if it is a typo, it doesn't help. Either way ( exp(-x2) vs exp(-x) ), this function is not integrable in the elementary functions. Since it's not an integral that is widely used, it's dubious that someone has come up with a nifty way to evaluate it.To ait.abd: You need to learn how to do numerical integration sometime. If this is the right integral, that sometime is now.

1. What is the expected value of a function of a normal variable?

The expected value of a function of a normal variable is also known as the solution to the integral. It is a measure of the central tendency of a normal distribution and represents the average value of the function over all possible values of the normal variable.

2. How is the expected value of a function of a normal variable calculated?

The expected value of a function of a normal variable is calculated by taking the integral of the function multiplied by the normal probability density function, over the range of possible values for the normal variable. This can be done analytically or numerically using software or calculators.

3. What does the expected value of a function of a normal variable tell us?

The expected value of a function of a normal variable provides important information about the distribution of the random variable. It can be used to determine the likelihood of different outcomes and to make predictions about future values.

4. What factors can affect the expected value of a function of a normal variable?

The expected value of a function of a normal variable can be affected by the parameters of the normal distribution, such as the mean and standard deviation. It can also be influenced by the shape of the function and the range of values for the normal variable.

5. Can the expected value of a function of a normal variable be negative?

Yes, the expected value of a function of a normal variable can be negative. This can occur if the function has a negative slope or if the normal variable has a large range of possible values with a low probability of occurrence.