Solutions to Field Equations with Einstein Tensor = 1

In summary, the Gravity field equations are Gtt = 1, Gxx = Gyy = Gzz = 1, and T = 1/8 pi Gtp^2. The metric tensor gμν is dimensionless, the curvature tensors Rμν, Gμν and Rμνστ are second derivatives of the metric, and the stress-energy tensor Tμν has dimensions of energy density.
edgepflow
Suppose there is a solution to the field equations with the Einstein Tensor = 1:

Gtt = 1

and/or,

Gxx = Gyy = Gzz = 1

This would leave for the stress energy tensor:

T = 1 / 8 pi G

Now for stress, it seems to get physical units of pressure, you would apply:

Txx = Tyy = Tzz = c^2 / 8 pi G tp^2

where tp is the Planck time.

And for the time component:

Ttt = 1 / 8 pi G tp^2

Please let me know if I have these conversions straight.

Physics news on Phys.org
edgepflow said:
Suppose there is a solution to the field equations with the Einstein Tensor = 1:

Gtt = 1

and/or,

Gxx = Gyy = Gzz = 1

This would leave for the stress energy tensor:

T = 1 / 8 pi G

Now for stress, it seems to get physical units of pressure, you would apply:

Txx = Tyy = Tzz = c^2 / 8 pi G tp^2

where tp is the Planck time.

And for the time component:

Ttt = 1 / 8 pi G tp^2

Please let me know if I have these conversions straight.

The Gravity field equations are

[tex]G_{ab}=R_{ab}-\frac{1}{2}g_{ab}R=\frac{8\pi G}{c^4}T_{ab}[/tex]

I'm not sure why the plank time worked it's way in there. The units are fine the way they are. Maybe I'm not getting something though.

- The metric tensor gμν is dimensionless.
- The curvature tensors Rμν, Gμν and Rμνστ are second derivatives of the metric and have dimension L-2. (This is assuming your coordinates have dimension L. If you use polar coordinates or something like that, the dimension of those components will be different.)
- The stress-energy tensor Tμν has dimensions of energy density, which is M(L/T)2/L3 = ML-1T-2.
(Pressure has the same dimensions as energy density: force/area = M(LT-2)/L2 = ML-1T-2.)
Like jfy4 says, Einstein's Equations are Gμν = (8πG/c4) Tμν. What are the dimensions of that constant G/c4?
Well the Schwarzschild radius is 2 Gm/c2 ~ L, so G/c4 ~ M-1L-1T2, and with that I'll leave you to verify that the dimensions on both sides agree.

Thank you for the replies. I think the "natural units" were messing me up.

1. What are solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1?

Solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1 refer to possible solutions that satisfy Einstein's field equations in general relativity, where the Einstein tensor has a value of 1. These solutions describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How are solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1 derived?

Solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1 are derived by solving Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. This involves using advanced mathematical techniques and assumptions to find possible solutions that satisfy the equations.

3. What are some examples of solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1?

Some examples of solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1 include the Schwarzschild solution, which describes the spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass, and the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker solution, which describes the expanding universe.

4. What is the significance of solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1?

The solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1 have significant implications for our understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe. They provide a framework for predicting the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as those around massive objects like black holes.

5. How are solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1 used in physics?

Solutions to field equations with Einstein tensor equal to 1 are used in a variety of areas in physics, including cosmology, astrophysics, and gravitational wave research. They are also used in practical applications, such as in GPS technology, which relies on the principles of general relativity to accurately measure time and space.