1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions to laplace's equation & uniqueness thrm #2 (Griffiths)

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    In griffith's intro to electrodynamics (4rth edition), ch. 3, pg. 121.

here is the second uniqueness thrm for the solutions to laplace's equation:

the only part i'm confused about is, in the beginning where he says "in a volume V surrounded by conductors and containing a specified charge density ρ"

Q: is the charge density ρ referring to that belonging to the region of space whose potential we're trying to determine? or is it referring to that of the conductor/insulator?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

It is referring to that belonging to the volume V in which we are solving for the electric field.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    thought so!

but then this leads to another confusion. I thought both uniqueness theorems were meant for the solutions to the laplace equation. The laplace equation however does not deal with charges inside the region.

so then, i guess, uniqueness thrm 1 is for both the laplace & the poisson equations while uniqueness thrm 2 is for just the poisson eqn?

please confirm this for me

5. May 11, 2014 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Uniqueness theorem 2 is for Poisson's and uniqueness theorem 1 is for Laplace's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook