Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions to laplace's equation & uniqueness thrm #2 (Griffiths)

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    In griffith's intro to electrodynamics (4rth edition), ch. 3, pg. 121.

here is the second uniqueness thrm for the solutions to laplace's equation:

the only part i'm confused about is, in the beginning where he says "in a volume V surrounded by conductors and containing a specified charge density ρ"

Q: is the charge density ρ referring to that belonging to the region of space whose potential we're trying to determine? or is it referring to that of the conductor/insulator?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

It is referring to that belonging to the volume V in which we are solving for the electric field.

4. May 11, 2014 #3
    thought so!

but then this leads to another confusion. I thought both uniqueness theorems were meant for the solutions to the laplace equation. The laplace equation however does not deal with charges inside the region.

so then, i guess, uniqueness thrm 1 is for both the laplace & the poisson equations while uniqueness thrm 2 is for just the poisson eqn?

please confirm this for me

5. May 11, 2014 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Uniqueness theorem 2 is for Poisson's and uniqueness theorem 1 is for Laplace's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook