1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve a given initial-value problem, bernoullis equation

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x2*(dy/dx)-2xy=3y4
    y(1)=1/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    the most I have it reduced to du/dx+2u/3x=-1/(u^8*x^2)

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2
    This is a Bernoulli DE. Did you use the substitution [itex]u = y^{1 - 4} = y^{-3}[/itex]? Find [itex]dy/dx[/itex] in terms of [itex]du/dx[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] and substitute it in the differential equation. Eventually, you'll have a new DE of u and x and you can solve it using whatever way it should be.

4. May 27, 2012 #3
    thats what i did, and when i reduced it down i got this
    du/dx+2u/3x=-1/(u^8*x^2)
    but ive rechecked and rechecked and i cant see if i did something wrong or what I am supposed to do next?

5. May 27, 2012 #4
    What I got is different:

[itex]dy/dx = -(1/3) y^4 (du/dx)[/itex] ; we substitute this into the differential equation, and we get: [itex]x^2 (-1/3) y^4 du/dx - 2xy = 3y^4[/itex]. Now divide by [itex]x^2[/itex] then multiply by [itex]-3y^{-4}[/itex] and we get: [itex]du/dx + (6u/x) = -9/x^2[/itex]. From here, find the integrating factor and solve the DE. Your mistake is [itex]u^8[/itex]; you multiplied by [itex]-3y^{-4}[/itex] so [itex]y^4[/itex] and [itex]y^{-4}[/itex] will cancel.

I might have some calculation mistakes, so I'd wait for someone else to confirm this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook