Solve a very complex line integral

In summary: That way, your integral becomes \int_{1}^{-1} cos(u)du, which is just sin(-1) - sin(1) = 2sin(1).In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral I = \int_{\gamma} f(z) dz, where \gamma(t) = e^{i \cdot t} and 0 \leq t \leq \pi using the method of line-integral. It also considers the use of integration by substitution and analytic functions. The final solution is found to be 2sin(1) by choosing u = e^{it} and
Mathman23

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]I = \int_{\gamma} f(z) dz[/tex] where [tex]\gamma(t) = e^{i \cdot t}[/tex] and [tex]0 \leq t \leq \pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

Do I use integration by substitution??

The Attempt at a Solution

If I treat this as a line-integral I get:

[tex]I = \int_{a}^{b} f(\gamma(t)) \cdot \gamma'(t) dt = \int_{0}^{\pi} cos(e^{i \cdot t}) \cdot (i \cdot e^{i \cdot t}) dt[/tex]

then If I choose

[tex]u = e^{it}[/tex] and [tex]dt = i \cdot e^{i \cdot u} du[/tex]

where [tex]t=0, u=e^{i \cdot 0} = 1[/tex] and [tex]t=\pi, u=e^{i \cdot 0} = -1[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} cos(e^{i \cdot t}) \cdot (i \cdot e^{i \cdot t}) dt = \int_{1}^{-1} (i \cdot (cos(u) \cdot u) du = (i \cdot (cos(u) + u \cdot sin(u))) \cdot i \cdot e^{i \cdot u} ]_{1}^{-1} = 2 sin(1) \cdot ((cos(1) + sin(1)) \cdot i[/tex]

Am I on the right path here??

Best regards
Fred

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathman23 said:

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]I = \int_{\gamma} f(z) dz[/tex] where [tex]\gamma(t) = e^{i \cdot t}[/tex] and [tex]0 \leq t \leq \pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

Do I use integration by substitution??

The Attempt at a Solution

If I treat this as a line-integral I get:

[tex]I = \int_{a}^{b} f(\gamma(t)) \cdot \gamma'(t) dt = \int_{0}^{\pi} cos(e^{i \cdot t}) \cdot (i \cdot e^{i \cdot t}) dt[/tex]
So f(z)= cos(z)? You didn't mention that before! Cosine is an analytic function isn't it?

then If I choose

[tex]u = e^{it}[/tex] and [tex]dt = i \cdot e^{i \cdot u} du[/tex]

where [tex]t=0, u=e^{i \cdot 0} = 1[/tex] and [tex]t=\pi, u=e^{i \cdot 0} = -1[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} cos(e^{i \cdot t}) \cdot (i \cdot e^{i \cdot t}) dt = \int_{1}^{-1} (i \cdot (cos(u) \cdot u) du = (i \cdot (cos(u) + u \cdot sin(u))) \cdot i \cdot e^{i \cdot u} ]_{1}^{-1} = 2 sin(1) \cdot ((cos(1) + sin(1)) \cdot i[/tex]

Am I on the right path here??

Best regards
Fred
That might work but looks overly complicated! How about just finding the anti-derivative of cos(z) (I'm sure you know it!) and evaluating it at the two endpoints of the contour?

Hi there,

You are right :)

Then I get

[tex]$
\int_0^{\pi}Cos[e^{it}]ie^{it}dt[/tex]

and I let [tex]u=e^{it}[/tex]

then:

[tex]du=ie^{it}dt[/tex]

right?

so that part is already in the integral so now it's just:

[tex]$
\int_0^{\pi}Cos[e^{it}]ie^{it}dt=\int_1^{-1}Cosdu[/tex]

right? I then get [tex]-2Sin[1][/tex]

I got that result in Maple too. Had an idear that it was the right one :)

By following the method above. I get:

1)[tex]f(z) = sinh(z)[/tex] and 2) [tex]f(z) = (exp(z))^3[/tex] and 3)[tex]f(z) = tan(z)[/tex].

1) Solution

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} sinh(e^{it}) \cdot i \cdot e^{i \cdot t} dt = \int_{1}^{-1} sinh(u) du = 0[/tex]

2) Solution

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} (e^{e^{it}})^3 \cdot i \cdot e^{i \cdot t} dt = \int_{1}^{-1} (e^{u})^3 du = \frac{-2 sinh(3)}{3}[/tex]

3) Solution

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} tan(e^{it}) \cdot i \cdot e^{i \cdot t} dt = \int_{1}^{-1} tan(u) du = 0[/tex]

How do they look? Am I following you guidelines correctly??

Best regards Fred

[tex]dt = i \cdot e^{i \cdot u} du[/tex]

This should be [tex]du = i \cdot e^{i \cdot t} dt[/tex]

I think...

notice your integral becomes easier

1. How do I approach solving a complex line integral?

Solving a complex line integral involves breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts. This can be done by using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is also important to carefully consider the limits of integration and any special cases that may arise.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a complex line integral?

One common mistake is not carefully considering the orientation of the line in the integral. This can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to pay attention to the order of operations and to not skip any steps in the calculation process.

3. How can I check my solution to a complex line integral?

One way to check your solution is by using a graphing calculator or software to graph the function and visually compare it to the integral's solution. Another method is to use the fundamental theorem of calculus to take the derivative of your solution, which should result in the original function.

4. Can complex line integrals be solved analytically?

In many cases, complex line integrals cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the integral using a series of smaller integrals and can provide accurate results.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving complex line integrals?

Practicing and familiarizing yourself with different techniques and methods for solving line integrals is key to improving your skills. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and being able to apply them to different problem scenarios can also help in solving complex line integrals.