1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve an equation with complex numbers

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing a problem where I have to design a controller for a system. I have to solve the below equation for ω

3.1 (ω)^2 - 6.2iω - 20

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to start It looks like a quadratic but I don't know what to do with the i
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    Looks like a quadratic, quacks like a quadratic. It is probably quadratic. You can use all the normal methods to solve it. The i is just part of the coefficient of the linear term.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I can't really see an equation anywhere. All I see is an expression in [itex]\omega[/itex]. An equation must contain an "=".

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's a quadratic. What it isn't is an equation! What is the problem really? Do you know the quadratic formula?

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5
    Sorry, I thought he meant to factor it. Good point!

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6
    Ok, it's the "i" that's causing the problem for him. That's intimidating to a lot of students not familiar with complex variables.

The think to do 2slow is not be intimidated by them. Treat them just like constants but remember the complex arithmetic i times i is minus one. So you have:

[tex]w^2-6.2iw-20=0[/tex]

(I heard a quack)

alright, that 6.2i is just a constant. Treat it just like if you were solving:

[tex]w^2-aw-20=0[/tex]

as long as you remember to do the complex arithmetic with i's so:

[tex]w=\frac{6.2i\pm\sqrt{(6.2i)^2+80}}{2}[/tex]

Not gonna' have problems with that (6.2i)^2 thing right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook