Solve Box on an Incline with Trig, Geom & Newtons Laws

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ainulph
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Incline
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ainulph
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


RjsIC.jpg



Homework Equations


Trigonometry
Geometry - Intersection on a Line
Physics - Newtons Laws


The Attempt at a Solution


rtcI6.jpg

I am just lost. I move the Cartesian coordinates to the incline of the free body diagram to begin.I know that the normal force is perpendicular to the surface and that the force of gravity must be divided into its x and y components. Considering Newton's Third Law, the force applied to the incline by the gravity and person should equal to normal force that box experiences.

Thanks for reading, hope to hear by you soon.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Divide also the applied force into its x (parallel to the slope) and y (normal to the slope) components. The normal component is not 110/tan(64°).

ehild
 
Ah, thank you! I can't believe I made that mistake every time.