Solve Cantilever Beam: End Load 20kN, EI=40KNm^2, Length 0.25m

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnboy14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beams Cantilever
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
johnboy14
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A cantilever beam carriers an end load of 20kN and has an EI value of 40 KNm^2. If the beam is 0.25m long, use intergration to determine

the slope at the free end of the beam?



Homework Equations



I know from a handout I have that the fudamental equation to use is

d^2y/dx^2 = M/EI

when I substitute this I get EI X d^2y/dx^2 = WU(l - x)

This is where I am stuck? Any help much appricated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the slope means 'first derivative', i.e. the rotation of the cross section of the beam.
 
Not with you? I think you have to intergrate it but Not sure how many times though.
 
Do you know what the y means in that differential equation? open up your mechanics of materials book and look it up, then you'll understand what radou said.