1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress components on cantilever beam loaded off symmetry

1. Dec 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An element is taken from the wall end of the cantilever beam that is loaded as per the diagram. What are the stress components of the element, taken at x=0, y=h/2, z=0

oW1iF65.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    σ=My/I

3. The attempt at a solution
    So from the shear moment diagram, the moment and shear at the wall end are found but then I'm not too sure what to do about the transverse load at an angle. I broke the load down into it's components but I'm not sure what to do about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You will just need to find the bending stress using each of the components of P. So you will need to get Ixx and Iyy for the beam and find Mxx and Myy for each of the components of P.

So

σx= (Mxxy)/Ixx

(xx denotes about the x-axis and yy about the y-axis)

4. Dec 6, 2013 #3
    So is there no stress on the z face, [itex]σ_{z}[/itex] ?

5. Dec 6, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about what happens when you resolve P into its components.

6. Dec 8, 2013 #5
    So then there would also be a shear stress caused by the load right? I'm getting confused now

Unless we assume that the beam is under pure bending, then there would be no shear

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  7. Dec 8, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might be better if you look at the beam loaded by each of the components of P individually. Draw the shear and bending moment diagrams without worrying too much about how everything acts simultaneously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted