Solve Degree 2 Polynomial: 10.2 DE Notation Explained

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses a matrix and how to compute the transformation from one coordinate space to another. The first part of the conversation is trying to find out what the matrix is and the second part is showing that the transformation is linear.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 8834

in (3) they say any polynomial of degree less than 2, yet the example is degree 2 ?

ok this is due tomro, so hopefully I can get a handle on it today

I think this is familiar, just is the notation is stumping me.

really appreciate any insight...

did a screenshot to avoid typos:cool:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We define the application
$T:P_2\rightarrow P_2$
by
$T(p)=2p(x)+xp'(x)+x^2 p''(x)$
Compute
$T(x^2),T(x),T(1) \textit{ and } T(ax^2+bx+c)$

ok if I just plug in then

$T(1)=2(1)+x(1)'+x^2(1)''=2+0+0=0$
$T(x)=2(x)+x(x)'+x^2(x)''=2x+x+0=3x$
$T(x^2)=2(x^2)+x(x^2)'+x^2(x^2)''=2x^2+2x+4$

kinda maybe...

$T(1)=2(1)+x(1)'+x^2(1)''=2+0+0=\color{red}{2}$

$T(x^2)=2(x^2)+x(x^2)'+x^2(x^2)''=\color{red}{2(x^2)+x(2x)+x^2(2)=2x^2+2x^2+2x^2=6x^2}$

$T(x)=2(x)+x(x)'+x^2(x)''=2x+x+0=\color{red}{3x}$

$T(x^2)=2(x^2)+x(x^2)'+x^2(x^2)''=2(x^2)+x(2x)+x^2(2)=2x^2+2x^2+2x^2=\color{red}{6x^2}$

$T(ax^2+bx+c)=2(ax^2+bx+c)+x(ax^2+bx+c)'+x^2(ax^2+bx+c)''$
$=2ax^2+2bx+2c+2ax^2+bx+0+2ax^2+0+0=\color{red}{6ax^2+3bx+2c}$

just seeing if this is launch ready...

karush said:

$T(x)=2(x)+x(x)'+x^2(x)''=2x+x+0=\color{red}{3x}$

$T(x^2)=2(x^2)+x(x^2)'+x^2(x^2)''=2(x^2)+x(2x)+x^2(2)=2x^2+2x^2+2x^2=\color{red}{6x^2}$

$T(ax^2+bx+c)=2(ax^2+bx+c)+x(ax^2+bx+c)'+x^2(ax^2+bx+c)''$
$=2ax^2+2bx+2c+2ax^2+bx+0+2ax^2+0+0=\color{red}{6ax^2+3bx+2c}$

just seeing if this is launch ready...
Looks good to me!

-Dan

ok I think this is the matrix (not sure what \(\displaystyle T(ax^2+bx+c)\) would be used for

$\left[\begin{array}{ccc}2&0&0\\0&3&0\\0&0&6 \end{array}\right]$

karush said:
ok I think this is the matrix (not sure what \(\displaystyle T(ax^2+bx+c)\) would be used for

$\left[\begin{array}{ccc}2&0&0\\0&3&0\\0&0&6 \end{array}\right]$
Okay, so what's next? (Did you do part 2 yet?)

-Dan

Show that T is a linear Transformation..
Ok well I presume the next step would be

$$\displaystyle\vec{x}
=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}2\\0\\0 \end{array}\right]
\quad \vec{y}=
=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}0\\3\\0 \end{array}\right]
\quad \vec{z}=
=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}0\\0\\6 \end{array}\right]$$

for $T(p) = 2p + xp' + x^2p''$ ...

(1) show $T(p_1 + p_2) = T(p_1)+T(p_2)$

$T(p_1+p_2) = 2(p_1 + p_2) + x(p_1+p_2)' + x^2(p_1+p_2)'' = 2p_1+2p_2+xp_1'+xp_2'+x^2p_1''+x^2p_2'' = (2p_1+xp_1'+x^2p_1'')+(2p_2+xp_2'+x^2p_2'') = T(p_1) + T(p_2)$

now, you show part (2) ... that $T(\alpha p) = \alpha T(p)$ for any scalar $\alpha$.

ok, sorry I had to abandon this one and move on
I was doing fine in this class until I hit this now I'm worried about the rest of it.

karush said:
ok, sorry I had to abandon this one and move on
I was doing fine in this class until I hit this now I'm worried about the rest of it.
I'm certainly not expert in this topic myself but I think you are giving up too easily. Try to find a simpler example. This isn't too bad but you need to spend some time with the examples to get it down. As all the "advanced" Math that I know uses linear differential operators the time spent will be well worth the effort.

-Dan

I agree I'm looking at examples now
Have such hard time in class because my hearing is really bad and board is hard to read
so mostly read pdfs and mhb.

W|A and wikipedia are awful to read

1. What is a degree 2 polynomial?

A degree 2 polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains variables raised to the second power, also known as quadratic expressions. These expressions have the general form of ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a degree 2 polynomial?

To solve a degree 2 polynomial, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. First, identify the values of a, b, and c in the polynomial expression. Then, substitute these values into the formula and solve for x. This will give you the solutions to the polynomial.

3. What is 10.2 DE notation in polynomial expressions?

10.2 DE notation is a way of representing the degree of a polynomial. The "D" stands for degree and the "E" stands for exponent. In this notation, the degree of a polynomial is written as a number followed by a capital "D" and then the highest exponent of the polynomial. For example, a degree 3 polynomial would be written as 3D2, indicating that the highest exponent is 2.

4. Can you explain the concept of degree in polynomial expressions?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 - 3x + 1, the degree is 3 because the variable x is raised to the highest power of 3. The degree of a polynomial can help determine the number of solutions to the polynomial and the behavior of the graph of the polynomial.

5. Why is it important to understand degree 2 polynomials?

Degree 2 polynomials, also known as quadratic expressions, are commonly used in many areas of science and mathematics. They can help model real-world situations and are used in various equations and formulas. Understanding how to solve degree 2 polynomials can also help in solving more complex polynomial expressions and equations.