Solve Derivative Questions with Quotient Rule

• MHB
  • Thread starter lastochka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the chain rule can be used to calculate the derivative of $f(g(x))$ when $g(x)$ is a function of $x$.
lastochka
Hello, I am struggling with these two questions. I think here should be used a quotient rule, but I am not sure how to proceed.
a) f(x)=sin$\frac{1}{x}$
b)g(x)=$\frac{1}{sinx}$
Can someone please help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lastochka said:
Hello, I am struggling with these two questions. I think here should be used a quotient rule, but I am not sure how to proceed.
a) f(x)=sin$\frac{1}{x}$
b)g(x)=$\frac{1}{sinx}$

Hi lastochka,

That should be a chain rule.
It says that the derivative of $f(g(x))$ is $f'(g(x))\cdot g'(x)$.

Applying that to a) we get:
$$\left(\sin \left(\frac{1}{x}\right)\right)'
= \sin' \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \cdot \left( \frac{1}{x} \right)'
= \cos \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \cdot (x^{-1})'
= \cos \left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \cdot (-1 \cdot x^{-2})
= - \frac{\cos \left(\frac{1}{x}\right)}{x^2}
$$

How could we apply that to b)? (Wondering)

lastochka said:
a) f(x)=sin$\frac{1}{x}$
b)g(x)=$\frac{1}{sinx}$

You can use the quotient rule on b if you like although the chain rule works just as well

Let \(\displaystyle u = 1\) and \(\displaystyle v = \sin(x)\) and take it from there

Thank you, I like Serena and SuperSonic4!
Question (b) I did with quotient rule:
g$^{\prime}$=$\frac{0sinx-1*cosx}{{sinx}^{2}}$=$\frac{-cosx}{{sinx}^{2}}$

but how to do it with Chain Rule? This fraction confuses me:confused:
Thank you again for helping!

Using the chain rule:

$$\left(\frac{1}{\sin\left({x}\right)}\right)'=[\left(\sin\left({x}\right)\right)^{-1}]'=-1[\sin\left({x}\right)]^{-2}\cos\left({x}\right)=-\frac{\cos\left({x}\right)}{[\sin\left({x}\right)]^2}$$

Or one could write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{\sin(x)}\right)=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\csc(x)\right)=-\csc(x)\cot(x)\) :D

Thank you, Rido12 and MarkFL!

What is the quotient rule for solving derivative questions?

The quotient rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a function that is written as a quotient of two other functions. It is written as (f/g)' = (g*f' - f*g') / g^2, where f' and g' represent the derivatives of the functions f and g, respectively.

How do I know when to use the quotient rule to solve derivative questions?

You should use the quotient rule when the function you are trying to find the derivative of is written as a quotient, or fraction, of two other functions. This includes functions such as f(x)/g(x) or (x^2 + 3x)/(x^3 - 2).

Can I use the quotient rule to find the derivative of any function?

No, the quotient rule can only be used to find the derivative of functions that are written as a quotient of two other functions. It cannot be used for functions that are not written in this form, such as exponential or trigonometric functions.

Are there any special cases when using the quotient rule to solve derivative questions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when using the quotient rule. If the denominator of the function is a constant, the quotient rule simplifies to (f/g)' = -f'/g^2. Also, if the numerator and denominator have a common factor, you should simplify the function before using the quotient rule.

How do I check my answer when using the quotient rule to solve derivative questions?

To check your answer, you can use the power rule to find the derivative of the function. If the two answers are the same, then you have correctly used the quotient rule. You can also graph the original function and its derivative to visually confirm the accuracy of your answer.