Solve Determinate Question Homework: 2x2 Matrix

• Thread starter ElliottG
  • Start date
In summary, Elliott was trying to solve a problem that she couldn't get, and was asked for help by someone else. She was able to solve it after looking at the answers in the boxes and trying it.
ElliottG

Homework Statement

[URL]http://74.52.147.194/~devilthe/uploads/1318251620.png[/URL]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked my teacher the same question and she said this:

We didn't do an example like this in class, but you should be able to figure it out based on what we did do. You need to put a couple of things together:

1) What happens to the determinant of a matrix when you multiply one row by a scalar?

2) When you multiply a matrix by a scalar, what happens to it? (Answer: each entry gets multiplied by that scalar. But what does this mean for the rows?)

3) How many rows does this matrix have?

See if you can get it now!

Okay, so I know that when you multiple a row of a matrix by a scalar, the determinate also gets multiplied by that same scalar.

Know from the question that it's a 2x2 matrix we're dealing with.

Know that the determinate of a 2x2 matrix is ad-bc

I have no idea how to do this question it's the only one I can't get out of the whole assignment...I still can't get it lol

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Elliott

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the 2x2 matrix whose determinate is ad - bc
Let's call this matrix A.
Write down matrix -3A
Determine the determinate of this matrix.
Compare with above.

ElliottG said:

Okay, so I know that when you multiple a row of a matrix by a scalar, the determinate also gets multiplied by that same scalar.
So, for -3 A, how many rows get multiplied by -3 ?

Alright so I got it at 27. I did the matrix out like NascentOxygen said and it made more sense.

To answer your question SammyS, both rows get multiplied by -3 (now I see that).

I still don't see how this question is relevant to this problem, though:

1) What happens to the determinant of a matrix when you multiply one row by a scalar?

ElliottG said:

To answer your question SammyS, both rows get multiplied by -3 (now I see that).

For each row of the matrix that you multiply by -3, multiply the corresponding determinant by -3.

ElliottG said:
Alright so I got it at 27.
27? I wasn't expecting that for the answer.

NascentOxygen said:
27? I wasn't expecting that for the answer.

Yup. What were you expecting then? :S

ElliottG said:
Alright so I got it at 27. I did the matrix out like NascentOxygen said and it made more sense.

Both rows got multiplied by -3 so the entire determinant was multiplied by (-3)(-3)= 9. Since the original determinant was 3, the new determnant will be (3)(9)= 27 as you say you got.

ElliottG said:
Yup. What were you expecting then? :S

I had in mind completing the answer as: det(-3A) = 9.det(A)
since it seemed you already had the answer partly filled in.

I'd overlooked being told det(A) =3.

So 27 is good.

Last edited:
? Where did he say what his teacher's answer was?

HallsofIvy said:
? Where did he say what his teacher's answer was?
I took it that teacher's answers are those in the boxes, and I looked at the one where he couldn't get the teachers answer. (Now seems unlikely!)

I answered it as: 9*det(A)
to accommodate that 9.

Last edited:
I think OP's answers are the ones in the boxes & the one boxed in red is wrong.

SammyS said:
I think OP's answers are the ones in the boxes & the one boxed in red is wrong.

Hahah sorry for the confusion but yes this guy hit it spot on.

Those are my answers in the box and I had already put an answer into try it because it tells you whether you're right or wrong. I have unlimited tries.

Probably should have posted it without an answer in the box but you get the idea...

Thanks everyone!

What is a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers arranged in two rows and two columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent data or perform calculations.

What is a determinate question?

A determinate question is a question that has a specific answer that can be determined through logical reasoning or mathematical calculations.

How do you solve a determinate question homework involving a 2x2 matrix?

To solve a determinate question homework involving a 2x2 matrix, you will need to use the properties and rules of matrix operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and determinant to manipulate the given matrix and find the desired solution.

What is the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix is a numerical value that is calculated using a specific formula and represents the area of the parallelogram formed by the matrix's rows and columns. It is an important concept in linear algebra and is used in various applications such as solving systems of equations and finding areas/volumes in geometry.

Can a 2x2 matrix have a zero determinant?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix can have a zero determinant if and only if the two rows or columns of the matrix are linearly dependent. This means that one row or column can be obtained by multiplying the other row or column by a constant. In this case, the area of the parallelogram formed by the matrix's rows and columns would be zero.