Linear Algebra: 2x2 matrix raised to the power of n

Corrected by Ray Vickson.In summary, to calculate the matrix raised to the power of n, we can use the formula A^n = 4^n E_1 + (-4)^n E_2, where E_1 and E_2 are constant matrices that can be determined by using the identity matrix and the original matrix A. The resulting matrix will be 4n E if n is even and 4n B if n is odd, where B = (1/4)A.
Miguel Guerrero

Homework Statement

If n is a positive integer, then 2x2 matrix [-32,252] [-4,32] raised to the power of n is...

Homework Equations

I know that first I should diagonalize the given matrix, something I also seem to have a hard time with.

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the eigenvalues to be 32 and -32 and determined eigenvectors to be 16,1 and 252,1 , respectively. I am not sure if this is right or where to even go from there...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to calculate
$$
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
-32 & 252 \\
-4 & 32 \\
\end{array} \right)^n
$$
with the help of the diagonal form of the original matrix. By the way, the eigenvalues you got are not right.

Miguel Guerrero said:

Homework Statement

If n is a positive integer, then 2x2 matrix [-32,252] [-4,32] raised to the power of n is...

Homework Equations

I know that first I should diagonalize the given matrix, something I also seem to have a hard time with.

I determined the eigenvalues to be 32 and -32 and determined eigenvectors to be 16,1 and 252,1 , respectively. I am not sure if this is right or where to even go from there...
You need not diagonalize the matrix. What is the square of it? What is its cube? Try, it is surprising:smile:.
To make it easier, pull out the factor 4 from the matrix.

Last edited:
Miguel Guerrero said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If you have a 2x2 matrix ##A## with two distinct eigenvalues ##r_1, r_2##, then there are two constant 2x2 matrices ##E_1, E_2## such that ##p(A) = E_1 p(r_1) + E_2 P(r_2) ## for any polynomial ##p##, so ##A^n = E_1 r_1^n + E_2 r_2^n##. You can figure out ##E_1## and ##E_2## by applying that to two simple examples of ##p##, such as ##p(x) = x^0 =1 \Rightarrow p(A) = E_1 r_1^0 + E_2 r_2^0 = I## (the identity matrix) and ##p(x) = x \Rightarrow p(A) = A = E_1 r_1 + E_2 r_2##. That gives you two equations in the two "unknowns" ##E_1## and ##E_2##.

Your eigenvalues are incorrect; start again.

Likes blue_leaf77
Ray Vickson said:
If you have a 2x2 matrix ##A## with two distinct eigenvalues ##r_1, r_2##, then there are two constant 2x2 matrices ##E_1, E_2## such that ##p(A) = E_1 p(r_1) + E_2 P(r_2) ## for any polynomial ##p##, so ##A^n = E_1 r_1^n + E_2 r_2^n##. You can figure out ##E_1## and ##E_2## by applying that to two simple examples of ##p##, such as ##p(x) = x^0 =1 \Rightarrow p(A) = E_1 r_1^0 + E_2 r_2^0 = I## (the identity matrix) and ##p(x) = x \Rightarrow p(A) = A = E_1 r_1 + E_2 r_2##. That gives you two equations in the two "unknowns" ##E_1## and ##E_2##.

Your eigenvalues are incorrect; start again.

So, I redid my calculations for the eigenvalues and after taking out the factor of 4 i found -1 and 1, do i need to multiply theses values by the factor of 4 that I took out? There is also a hint that says my answer will be a formula that involves n

Last edited:
Miguel Guerrero said:
So, I redid my calculations for the eigenvalues and after taking out the factor of 4 i found -1 and 1, do i need to multiply theses values by the factor of 4 that I took out? There is also a hint that says my answer will be a formula that involves n
Yes, the eigenvalues of the original matrix are 4 and -4.
BUT: try my previous hint. The original matrix is A=4B. A2=42B2. Determine B2. What matrix do you get?

ehild said:
Yes, the eigenvalues of the original matrix are 4 and -4.
BUT: try my previous hint. The original matrix is A=4B. A2=42B2. Determine B2. What matrix do you get?

[1,0],[0,1]

Miguel Guerrero said:
[1,0],[0,1]
I was able to solve the problem guys, thanks for your help

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 1.21.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 1.21.40 PM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,127
If B=(1/4)A

B2=E

Miguel Guerrero said:
[1,0],[0,1]

and B3=B.

So the resulting matrix is 4n E if n is even and 4n B if n is odd.

ehild said:
If B=(1/4)A

B2=E
and B3=B.

So the resulting matrix is 4n E if n is even and 4n B if n is odd.
Alternatively, using the method in #4 we have
[tex] A^n = 4^n E_1 + (-4)^n E_2, \; n= 0,1,2, \ldots , [/tex]
giving
[tex] I = E_1+E_2\\
A = 4E_1 - 4E_2. [/tex]
Thus
[tex] E_1 = \frac{1}{8}A + \frac{1}{2}I = \pmatrix{-7/2 & 63/2 \\ -1/2 & 9/2} [/tex]
and
[tex] E_2 = -\frac{1}{8} A + \frac{1}{2} I = \pmatrix{9/2 & -63/2 \\ 1/2 & -7/2} [/tex]

What is a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in two rows and two columns. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to represent linear transformations and solve systems of linear equations.

What does it mean to raise a 2x2 matrix to the power of n?

When a 2x2 matrix is raised to the power of n, it means that the matrix is multiplied by itself n times. This results in a new matrix with the same dimensions as the original, where each element is the product of the corresponding elements in the original matrix.

How do you calculate the power of a 2x2 matrix?

To calculate the power of a 2x2 matrix, you can use the power rule for matrices. This states that a matrix raised to the power of n is equal to the product of the matrix with itself n times. Alternatively, you can use the eigendecomposition method to find the diagonal matrix and use it to calculate the power of the original matrix.

What is the significance of raising a 2x2 matrix to the power of n?

Raising a 2x2 matrix to the power of n has many applications in linear algebra, including solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing transformations. It is also used in other fields such as physics, economics, and computer science.

Can a 2x2 matrix raised to the power of n be a non-integer?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix raised to the power of n can be a non-integer. This is because the power rule for matrices can be extended to include non-integer and even negative powers. However, the calculation of non-integer powers of matrices can be more complex and may require the use of advanced mathematical techniques.