Solve Energy Dissipation in Resistor: I = 0.09 A, R = 80.0 Ω

  • Thread starter Thread starter roam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
roam
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



What is the total energy dissipated as heat in a resistor of resistance R = 80.0 Ω when a current of I = 0.09 A passes through it for 1 minute?

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



From the given values I can work out the potential difference, but I'm stuck here because I don't know what formula to use with energy in it. But I know that electric power can be found from P=IV=I2R, but I don't know how this helps to find energy. Of course I know that [tex]P=\frac{dU}{dt}[/tex], but I don't see how to solve for the energy... :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you have the answer hiding right in front of you...

If you know that the power drop across a resistor is (I^2)(R) then you can calculate that given the values.

Next if you assume that it drops all that power through heat 'U' over that 1min and you know that P=U/t then...