1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for a constant in an equation

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    Im trying to solve for a constant in an equation and it involves taking the arctanh(6.55) and my calculator is giving me an error, is there a way around this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

H Smith 94

Gold Member

Perhaps you could make use of $$\tanh(x) = \frac{\sinh(x)}{\cosh(x)} = \frac{e^x - e^{-x} }{ e^x + e^{-x} },$$ or $$\mathrm{arctanh}(x) = \frac{1}{2}\,\ln\left|\frac{1+x}{1-x} \right|.$$ These are all available by Googling "Hyperbolic trig identities".

Also, you should probably mention what the equation is.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. Jan 15, 2016 #3
    This helps, thanks a lot

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4
    The values of tanh are between -1 and 1.
    What you are trying to do is like asking for arcsin(2).
    Of course you get an error.:)

6. Jan 15, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you let x = arctanh(6.55), an equivalent equation is tanh(x) = 6.55.

Assuming that we're dealing only with real numbers, the range of the tanh function is ##-1 < \tanh(x) < 1##. This means that there is no real number x for which tanh(x) = 6.55, or equivalently, for which x = arctanh(6.55). That's what your calculator is telling you.

Your calculator probably has some documentation about the values that can be used as arguments to each of the calculator's functions.

Edit: nasu beat me by 2 minutes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook