Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for a constant in an equation

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    Im trying to solve for a constant in an equation and it involves taking the arctanh(6.55) and my calculator is giving me an error, is there a way around this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

H Smith 94

Gold Member

Perhaps you could make use of $$\tanh(x) = \frac{\sinh(x)}{\cosh(x)} = \frac{e^x - e^{-x} }{ e^x + e^{-x} },$$ or $$\mathrm{arctanh}(x) = \frac{1}{2}\,\ln\left|\frac{1+x}{1-x} \right|.$$ These are all available by Googling "Hyperbolic trig identities".

Also, you should probably mention what the equation is.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. Jan 15, 2016 #3
    This helps, thanks a lot

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4
    The values of tanh are between -1 and 1.
    What you are trying to do is like asking for arcsin(2).
    Of course you get an error.:)

6. Jan 15, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you let x = arctanh(6.55), an equivalent equation is tanh(x) = 6.55.

Assuming that we're dealing only with real numbers, the range of the tanh function is ##-1 < \tanh(x) < 1##. This means that there is no real number x for which tanh(x) = 6.55, or equivalently, for which x = arctanh(6.55). That's what your calculator is telling you.

Your calculator probably has some documentation about the values that can be used as arguments to each of the calculator's functions.

Edit: nasu beat me by 2 minutes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook