Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solve for constants a and b given the limit of the function

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine all the numbers a and b for which the limit of the function as x approaches 2 equals to 4

sorry, im kinda new at this, not sure how to type it out

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2010 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does writing

[tex]\sqrt{ax +b} -3 = \sqrt{a(x-2) + b+2a} -3[/tex]

give you any ideas?

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    try multiply by its Conjugate that will help you

5. Sep 26, 2010 #4
    Oh, thank you
    Ive gotten to a point where (x-2) cancels out, and i can sub in x=2 without the denominator coming out as undefined..
    But i'm still not sure where to go from here

6. Sep 26, 2010 #5

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you explain a bit more of your work? If you're using my hint then you expanded the square root in powers of (x-2) and there's a divergent term, a term that's independent of x, and then terms that vanish as x -> 2. The coefficients of the first 2 terms can be thought of as a pair of equations to solve for a and b once you demand that the divergent part vanishes and that the finite term gives the correct limit.

7. Sep 28, 2010 #6

Hi fzero, how did you get that second part?
    Thanks!

8. Sep 28, 2010 #7
    I'm not sure how sqr.rt.((x-2) + b + 2a) shows me how to get there from the original numerator. What did you multiply, or how did you substitute?

9. Sep 28, 2010 #8

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All I did was add and subtract 2 a under the square root so that I could express the numerator in terms of the x-2 that appeared in the denominator. However, if you're not familiar with series expansions, the next step would be far from obvious.

10. Sep 28, 2010 #9
    I figured out how you rewrote the numerator, and I was able to eliminate the (x-2) in the numerator and denominator. I am now left with (3a+b-3)/sqr.rt.(b+2a+3) = 4. Do you have any hints as to what comes after that?

11. Sep 28, 2010 #10

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's also a term proportional to 1/(x-2). This gives a 2nd equation to use to solve for a,b.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook