Solve for Theta in bsin30-85.7sin(theta)=0

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra Sine
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
Ry122
Messages
563
Reaction score
2
in bsin30-85.7sin(theta)=0
How can I make theta the subject?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:
how is that done?
It's the inverse.

Recall ...

[tex]y=x^2,x\geq0[/tex]

[tex]f^{-1}(x)=\sqrt x[/tex]

So similarly ...

[tex]\sin x=y[/tex]

[tex]\sin^{-1}y=x[/tex]
 
so is this correct
sin(theta)=-bsin30/-85.7
1/sin(theta)=(-85.7)/(-binsin30)sin^-1(-bsin30/-85.7)=(theta)
 
Last edited:
That doesn't make it the subject, now does it? If sin(theta)=a, then theta=arcsin(a). That's the definition of arcsin.
 
I forgot to add that arcsine is defined in Quadrants I & IV. It's domain is: [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq y\leq\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].
 
Ry122 said:
so is this correct
sin(theta)=-bsin30/-85.7
1/sin(theta)=(-85.7)/(-binsin30)


sin^-1(-bsin30/-85.7)=(theta)
I think what you did was implied something like ... [tex]\frac{1}{x}=x^{-1}[/tex]

It's not the same, the reciprocal of sine is cosecant. Refer to Dick's post.
 
Ry122 said:
so is this correct
sin(theta)=-bsin30/-85.7
1/sin(theta)=(-85.7)/(-binsin30)


sin^-1(-bsin30/-85.7)=(theta)

Yes. That's it. arcsin(b*sin(30)/85.7)=theta.
 
That's it. arcsin(b*sin(30)/85.7)=theta.
How do you work this out on a calculator?
 
To work it out on a calculator you need to know b, right? The arcsin function is usually labeled sin^(-1).