Solve for ##x## in an equation involving surds

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
In summary: There's a subtlety here. If we write $$f(x) = \sqrt {x - 3}$$then this could mean one of two functions:$$f: [3, \infty) \rightarrow \mathbb R$$Or:$$f: \mathbb R \rightarrow \mathbb C$$Strictly speaking, therefore, we cannot allow ##x < 3## without admitting complex numbers at least implicitly. However, it's true that we could retain the real numbers as the domain of ##f##, or alternatively, we could allow ##x < 3## and admit the complex numbers as a domain of ##g(x)##.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
quadratic/cubic equations
Kindly see the questions and its mark scheme below;

1638094995468.png

1638095029077.png

This is well understood. I was trying to look at the problem from a different perspective. (see attached below my attempt);

1638095130844.png

1638095234320.png

Makes any sense? cheers...

ok i can see some mistake...i will amend it later...let me amend it first then you guys can chime in later..

...I seem to be going round in circles...looks like squaring both sides would realize what we want...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming we are looking for real solutions, we have:
$$\sqrt{x + 3} < \sqrt {x + 5} \ \text{and} \ \sqrt{x - 3} < \sqrt {x + 5}$$ $$\sqrt {x + 3} + \sqrt {x - 3} < 2\sqrt{x + 5}$$Hence, there are no real solutions.

The proposed solution ##x = -\frac{109}{20}## leads to the equation:
$$\sqrt{-49} + \sqrt{-169} = 2\sqrt{-9}$$ Which only works if we take:
$$\sqrt{-49} = -7i, \ \sqrt{-169} = 13i, \ \sqrt{-9} = 3i$$

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
Assuming we are looking for real solutions, we have:
$$\sqrt{x + 3} < \sqrt {x + 5} \ \text{and} \ \sqrt{x - 3} < \sqrt {x + 5}$$ $$\sqrt {x + 3} + \sqrt {x - 3} < 2\sqrt{x + 5}$$Hence, there are no real solutions.

The proposed solution ##x = -\frac{109}{20}## leads to the equation:
$$\sqrt{-49} + \sqrt{-169} = 2\sqrt{-9}$$ Which only works if we take:
$$\sqrt{-49} = -7i, \ \sqrt{-169} = 13i, \ \sqrt{-9} = 3i$$
##√(-49=±7i## & ##√(-69)=±13i##...in this case do we only consider the values that satisfy the equation, like you have rightly indicated?

chwala said:
##√(-49=±7i## & ##√(-69)=±13i##...in this case do we only consider the values that satisfy the equation, like you have rightly indicated?
No, square roots are uniquely defined. The solution in the book is wrong. What they showed was that IF the equation has a solution, then that solution is ##-\frac{109}{20}##. But, they didn't check that really is a solution. Note that squaring both sides of an equation gives a one-way implication, as a solution of the squared equation may not be a solution of the original equation.

If you are considering real numbers, then any solution must be ##\ge 3## in any case.

You could patch up the origin equation by changing it to:$$-\sqrt {z + 3} + \sqrt {z - 3} = 2\sqrt{z + 5}$$And then ##z = -\frac{109}{20}## is a solution.

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
No, square roots are uniquely defined. The solution in the book is wrong. What they showed was that IF the equation has a solution, then that solution is ##-\frac{109}{20}##. But, they didn't check that really is a solution. Note that squaring both sides of an equation gives a one-way implication, as a solution of the squared equation may not be a solution of the original equation.

If you are considering real numbers, then any solution must be ##\ge 3## in any case.

You could patch up the origin equation by changing it to:$$-\sqrt {z + 3} + \sqrt {z - 3} = 2\sqrt{z + 5}$$And then ##z = -\frac{109}{20}## is a solution.
that's true, the equation can only have real roots with ##x ## being in the domain, ##x≥3##

chwala said:
that's true, the equation can only have real roots with ##x ## being in the domain, ##x≥3##
If the equation referred to above is
(1)##\qquad–~\sqrt {z + 3}~+ \sqrt {z - 3} = 2\sqrt {z + 5}~##
that could have only real roots ##~z = x~\geq~3~##, then why does ##~z = x = 4~\gt~3~##give for the left-hand side of (1)
##\qquad{~~~~}–~\sqrt {4 + 3}~+ \sqrt {4 - 3} = –\sqrt 7 + 1 = –2.6 + 1 = –1.6##
whereas from the right-hand side, we find
##\qquad{~~~~}2\sqrt {4 + 5} = 2\sqrt 9~= 6~\ne~–1.6##
Since the equality in (1) is not satisfied, then ##~x≥3~## does not give the roots of (1) rewritten in the form
(2)##\qquad\sqrt {z + 3}~- \sqrt {z - 3}~+ 2\sqrt {z + 5} = 0##
The only root of (2) is ##~\frac {–~109}{20}~## which has zero imaginary part so there's really no need to use a complex variable but simply write (1) as
##\qquad{~~~~}–~\sqrt {x + 3}~+ \sqrt {x - 3} = 2\sqrt {x + 5}~##.

I do not know whether we are talking on the same problem, Looking at the problem; Solve
##√(x+3) +√(x-3)=2√(x+5)##, then ##x## can only be defined in the domain ##x≥3##, that's what i meant. Any other value less than ##3## would realize a complex form of solution...of course if i did not get it right then do correct me...

...you slightly altered the original equation, hence use of the term 'if'

chwala said:
I do not know whether we are talking on the same problem ...
There's a subtlety here. If we write $$f(x) = \sqrt {x - 3}$$then this could mean one of two functions:
$$f: [3, \infty) \rightarrow \mathbb R$$Or:
$$f: \mathbb R \rightarrow \mathbb C$$Strictly speaking, therefore, we cannot allow ##x < 3## without admitting complex numbers at least implicitly. Although, it's true that we could retain the real numbers as the domain of our function.

Likes chwala
If the problem is to find a real root of the equation
(1)##\qquad~\sqrt {x+3} + \sqrt {x-3} - 2√(x+5) = 0##
then clearly, ##~x~\geq~3##. But if the aim is to find the general root of (1), not just the real root, then obviously complex roots must be admissible..

Likes chwala

What is a surd?

A surd is an irrational number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It is usually represented by a root symbol (√) and a non-perfect square number under it.

How do I solve for x in an equation involving surds?

To solve for x in an equation involving surds, you need to isolate the surd term on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the surd. This will leave you with a quadratic equation that can be solved using standard methods.

Can I simplify a surd?

Yes, you can simplify a surd by finding the largest perfect square factor of the number under the root symbol and taking its square root out of the root symbol. The remaining number under the root symbol will be the simplified surd.

What if the surd is in the denominator?

If the surd is in the denominator, you can rationalize the denominator by multiplying the entire equation by the conjugate of the surd. This will eliminate the surd in the denominator and leave you with a rational expression that can be simplified further if needed.

Can I solve for x if the equation involves multiple surds?

Yes, you can solve for x even if the equation involves multiple surds. The key is to isolate each surd term on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the surds. This will leave you with a polynomial equation that can be solved using standard methods.