Solve for x in this index notation problem

In summary: If you ask how to evaluate W, it's going to be the Newton-Rhapsody method or something largely...same thing.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
##2^x##=##x^2##
Relevant Equations
trial/error method
ok, by direct substitution i know that either ##x=2## or ##x=4##
but i would like to prove this analytically, would it be correct saying,
##xln 2= 2ln x##
##xln_{2}2=2 ln_{2}x##
##x=2 ln_{2}x##
##\frac {1}{2}=\frac { ln_{2}x}{x}##
##ln_{2}x^{1/x}##=##\frac {1}{2}##
→##2^{1/2}##=##x^{1/x}##
→##x=2##
is my thinking correct? and how do we show the solution ##x=4?## analytically

Physics news on Phys.org
I just saw it on another group, where they simply used trial and error to get ##x=2## and ##x=4##

Math_QED said:
I doubt you can solve this analytically. Of course, you have made two guesses, but the question is: are there more? The answer turns out to be yes: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2^x+=+x^2

Where did you find this question?
I have made guesses yes and at the same time I have tried to solve the problem and I wanted a feedback on that approach sir.

If one writes ##x^y=y^x## isn't it obvious by symmetry that ##x=y## is always one of the solutions?

kuruman said:
If one writes ##x^y=y^x## isn't it obvious by symmetry that ##x=y## is always one of the solutions?

i do not disagree,...true, i just wanted to work from the original problem to realize a solution. It is you to inform me whether my steps make sense or not, i have tried showing that, ...yes by symmetry, we would immediately get the solution to the problem as indicated...

chwala said:
Homework Statement:: ##2^x##=##x^2##
Relevant Equations:: trial/error method

ok, by direct substitution i know that either ##x=2## or ##x=4##
but i would like to prove this analytically, would it be correct saying,
##xln 2= 2ln x##
You've implicitly assumed ##x>0## here.

##xln_{2}2=2 ln_{2}x##
##x=2 ln_{2}x##
##\frac {1}{2}=\frac { ln_{2}x}{x}##
##ln_{2}x^{1/x}##=##\frac {1}{2}##
→##2^{1/2}##=##x^{1/x}##
→##x=2##
is my thinking correct? and how do we show the solution ##x=4?## analytically
Looks okay, but it doesn't seem like the work really bought you anything. To get to ##x=2## in the last step, you're essentially using the same logic you used to get the solution to the original form, i.e., if you plug in 2, both sides are obviously equal.

The most insightful approach (to me) would be to plot the two functions and see where they intersect. To get the negative root, you'd have to use numerical methods.

Likes chwala
vela said:
You've implicitly assumed ##x>0## here.Looks okay, but it doesn't seem like the work really bought you anything. To get to ##x=2## in the last step, you're essentially using the same logic you used to get the solution to the original form, i.e., if you plug in 2, both sides are obviously equal.

The most insightful approach (to me) would be to plot the two functions and see where they intersect. To get the negative root, you'd have to use numerical methods.
Ok, thanks for your feedback...noted with regards.

vela said:
You've implicitly assumed ##x>0## here.Looks okay, but it doesn't seem like the work really bought you anything. To get to ##x=2## in the last step, you're essentially using the same logic you used to get the solution to the original form, i.e., if you plug in 2, both sides are obviously equal.

Which numerical methods would you suggest for the negative roots...

I like Newton-Raphson.

Likes chwala
I know it...I will check it out. Cheers

1607207077058.png

using the graph we get all the solutions...##x=-0.767##, let me check on how to arrive at this using Newton-raphson method...long since i looked at this numerical methods...cheers

so we need to let ##f(x)= 2^x -x^2## for us to check the roots btwn ##x=-1## and ##x=1## rather than,
##f(x)=x^2-2^x##, or it does not matter?
note that at ##f(-1)= -0.5## and at ##f(1)=1## implying that the roots lie in between.
ok, i am getting, ##f'(x)=2^x ln 2 -2x##
##x_{1}=x_{0}- \frac {f(x_{0})}{f'(x_{0})}##
##x_{1}=-1-\frac{-0.5}{2.3465}##
##x_{1}=-1+0.213=-0.787##
am i on the correct path...

Last edited:
What about the lambert w function?is it a reliable way of solving the same problem...just saw it on YouTube.

Last edited:
I mean... Kind of. But if you asked someone to solve the equation ##xe^x=2## and they told you the answer was W(2), would you consider yourself satisfied? That's the level of satisfaction you'll get using that function. If you ask how to evaluate W, it's going to be the Newton-Rhapsody method or something largely equivalent.

Likes chwala
Office_Shredder said:
Newton-Rhapsody
Spell checker? LOL!

😃😃😃 a bit of humour is good during this hard times...

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
I mean... Kind of. But if you asked someone to solve the equation ##xe^x=2## and they told you the answer was W(2), would you consider yourself satisfied? That's the level of satisfaction you'll get using that function. If you ask how to evaluate W, it's going to be the Newton-Rhapsody method or something largely equivalent.
If you can find peace in ln(2) being a satisfying answer, I would W(2) should be equally satisfactory.

Mayhem said:
If you can find peace in ln(2) being a satisfying answer, I would W(2) should be equally satisfactory.
But there's no W button on most people's calculators.

1. How do I solve for x in an index notation problem?

To solve for x in an index notation problem, you need to use the rules of indices. First, simplify the terms inside the brackets using the rules of multiplication and division. Then, use the rule of indices that states that when two terms with the same base are multiplied, the indices are added. Finally, use the rule that states that when a term with an index is raised to another power, the indices are multiplied.

2. What is the difference between index notation and standard notation?

Index notation, also known as exponential notation, is a way of writing numbers using indices or exponents. Standard notation, on the other hand, is the traditional way of writing numbers without using indices. In index notation, the base number is written first, followed by the exponent or index. For example, 52 is the index notation for 25, where 5 is the base and 2 is the exponent.

3. How do I know when to use index notation in a problem?

Index notation is typically used when dealing with large or small numbers, as it allows for a more compact and efficient way of writing them. It is also commonly used in mathematical equations and formulas, as it can simplify calculations and make them more manageable.

4. Can I use index notation in all types of math problems?

Index notation can be used in many types of math problems, such as algebra, calculus, and geometry. However, it may not always be the most efficient or appropriate way of writing numbers, so it is important to consider the context and purpose of the problem before using index notation.

5. Are there any special rules or exceptions when solving for x in an index notation problem?

There are a few special rules and exceptions to keep in mind when solving for x in an index notation problem. These include the rule that states any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, and the rule that states any number raised to the power of 1 is equal to itself. Additionally, when solving for x in an equation with multiple terms, make sure to simplify each term separately before combining them.