Solve integral using residue theorem

In summary: So, in summary, the integral from 0 to infinity can be solved by using the same contour as the integral from -infinity to infinity, and the result would be half of the latter.
Siberion

Homework Statement

Considering the following integral,

[tex]I = \int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{x^2}{1+x^4}[/tex]

I can rewrite it as a complex contour integral as:

[tex]\oint^{}_{C} \frac{z^2}{1+z^4}[/tex]

where the contour C is a semicircle on the half-upper plane with a radius which extends to infinity. I can use the residue theorem and get the result by noticing the singularities of the function, which in this case are just simple poles.

However, I'm not sure about what is the correct approach when the integral goes from 0 to infinity, i.e.

[tex]I = \int^\infty_{0} \frac{x^2}{1+x^4}[/tex]

I was tempted to use the same contour of integration, but that would give me the same result ,so I really wish to know what is the correct contour to use in this kind of case.

Given that the integrand is a pair function, would the result be just 1/2 of the integral from -∞ to ∞?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Siberion said:

Homework Statement

Considering the following integral,

[tex]I = \int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{x^2}{1+x^4}[/tex]

I can rewrite it as a complex contour integral as:

[tex]\oint^{}_{C} \frac{z^2}{1+z^4}[/tex]

where the contour C is a semicircle on the half-upper plane with a radius which extends to infinity. I can use the residue theorem and get the result by noticing the singularities of the function, which in this case are just simple poles.

However, I'm not sure about what is the correct approach when the integral goes from 0 to infinity, i.e.

[tex]I = \int^\infty_{0} \frac{x^2}{1+x^4}[/tex]

I was tempted to use the same contour of integration, but that would give me the same result ,so I really wish to know what is the correct contour to use in this kind of case.

Given that the integrand is a pair function, would the result be just 1/2 of the integral from -∞ to ∞?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

If a "pair" function is an "even" function, i.e. f(-x)=f(x), then yes, the integral from 0 to infinity is (1/2) of the integral from -infinity to infinity.

Dick said:
If a "pair" function is an "even" function, i.e. f(-x)=f(x), then yes, the integral from 0 to infinity is (1/2) of the integral from -infinity to infinity.

Haha, my apologies, I got confused with the word commonly used in spanish "par". In english, it would indeed be an even function.

1. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a mathematical tool used to evaluate complex integrals. It states that the value of a complex integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the singularities inside the curve.

2. How is the residue theorem used to solve integrals?

To solve an integral using the residue theorem, we first identify the singularities of the function inside the contour of integration. Then, we find the residues of these singularities and use them to evaluate the integral using the residue theorem formula.

3. What are singularities?

Singularities are points on a complex function where the function is undefined or infinite. These points are important in the residue theorem as they contribute to the value of the integral.

4. Can the residue theorem be used for any type of integral?

No, the residue theorem can only be used for integrals with complex functions. It cannot be used for real integrals.

5. Are there any limitations to using the residue theorem?

Yes, the residue theorem can only be applied to integrals with simple poles (singularities of order 1). It cannot be used for integrals with higher order singularities or essential singularities.