Solve Parseval's Identity for 1+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{25}+\cdot\cdot\cdot

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheFerruccio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Identity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
TheFerruccio
Messages
216
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Obtain the result of the infinite sum [tex]1+\frac{1}{9}+\frac{1}{25}+\cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

By applying Parseval's Identity to the Fourier series expansion of
0 if [tex]-\frac{\pi}{2} < x < \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
1 if [tex]\frac{\pi}{2} < x < \frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]2a_0^2+\sum_n{(a_n^2+b_n^2)}\leq\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\! f^2(x) \, \mathrm{d}x.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I got the solution to the Fourier series, and I know it's correct.

The terms for [tex]a_n[/tex] in the Fourier series expansion are [tex]\frac{-2}{n\pi}[/tex] if n=1,5,9,13,..., and [tex]\frac{2}{n\pi}[/tex] if n=3,7,11,15,...
The [tex]b_n[/tex] terms are 0, since it is an even function about 0.

I'm just not sure how to use this information in Parseval's Identity.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
so write your sum out and see if you can relate it to the given series

in the infinite limit the inequality becomes equality, and the integral should be easy to evaluate