Solve Stopping Potential when 250 nm Light Hits Zinc Plate

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tsunoyukami
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
Tsunoyukami
Messages
213
Reaction score
11

Homework Statement



I'm doing some practice problems for an introductory quantum mechanics course and am unsure whether or not I'm solving this problem properly - I need confirmation if I'm doing it right and help if I'm doing it wrong! :)

"What is the stopping potential when 250 nm light strikes a zinc plate?" (Chapter 3, #18 in Modern Physics 2nd ed. by Randy Harris)

Homework Equations



K = E - [itex]\varphi[/itex] (where K is the kinetic energy, E is the energy of the incident light and [itex]\varphi[/itex] is the work function)

This can be written as:

[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex] - [itex]\varphi[/itex] (where m is the mass of a scattered electron, v is the speed of this electron, h is Planck's constant and c is the speed of light)

[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex] = qV (where q is the electron charge and V is the stopping potential)

h = 6.626 x 10^(-34) Js
c = 3 x 10^8 m/s
[itex]\varphi[/itex] = 4.3 eV

The Attempt at a Solution



If my equations above are correct, I can write:

[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex] - [itex]\varphi[/itex] = qV
[itex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex] - [itex]\varphi[/itex] = qV
V = [itex]\frac{\frac{hc}{\lambda} - \varphi}{q}[/itex]

I can then simply plug in my values (remembering to either convert h in eV*s or [itex]\varphi[/itex] into J) and this should give me the stopping potential, correct?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that all looks good. No quantum mechanics in there, though; its all high school physics.
 
Thanks! And you're right, there isn't really any quantum mechanics here; it's just included in part of the course and its part of the introduction leading into the actual quantum mechanics.