1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric Effect - Laboration

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"During a laboratory experiment with photoelectric effect, a metal plate is irradiated with light. The voltage that completely stops the beam of electrons is then measured.

When the wavelength is 546 nm, the voltage is 0,38 V. When the wavelength is 410 nm, the voltage is 1,13 V.

Calculate an experimental value for Planck's constant and the work function of the metal plate."

2. Relevant equations

[itex]
    E_{F} = E_{K} + E_{0} \\
    E_{F} = \frac{hc}{\lambda} \\
    U = \frac{E}{Q} \\
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

OY1ii.png
    What I am wondering is, have I solved the problem correctly? I know many would address the problem by making a graph with the kinetic energy on the y-axis and the frequency on the x-axis... Thus I am not sure if my way works, however I believe it should...
    So: Is my solution correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have two equations and two unknowns. This gives exactly one value for the Planck constant, not two - the difference you see comes from your rounding errors.
    Drawing it would give the same result, but solving the equations on paper is better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted