Solve the differential equation of motional emf

In summary, to solve the differential equation of motional emf, one must use Faraday's law of induction and apply integration techniques. Motional emf is the induced electromotive force in a conductor moving through a magnetic field and is essential for the functioning of devices like generators and motors. The variables involved in the equation are magnetic field strength, velocity of the conductor, length of the conductor, and angle between velocity and magnetic field. The equation can be solved analytically, but may require numerical methods. Solving the differential equation is crucial for designing devices and studying electromagnetic waves and their propagation.
christang_1023
Homework Statement
A bar of mass m, length d, and resistance R slides without friction in a horizontal plane, moving on parallel rails as shown below. A battery that maintains a constant emf ε is connected between the rails, and a constant external magnetic field B is directed perpendicular to the plane of the page. Assuming the bar starts from rest and that the field produced by the rails is very small compared to the constant external magnetic field, show that at time t it moves with what speed
Relevant Equations
Shown below
Above is the figure of the problem.

I am trying to solve x(t) and differentiate it to obtain v(t); however, I have difficulty solving the differential equation shown below.

$$ v(t)=\int a(t)dt=\int \frac{B(\varepsilon-Blv)d}{Rm}dt \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{B\varepsilon d}{Rm}t-\frac{Bld}{Rm}x $$

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your ODE is correct, try substituting x=y+αt+β and see if there are values for α and β which simplify the equation.

christang_1023 said:
Problem Statement
A bar of mass m, length d, and resistance R slides without friction in a horizontal plane, moving on parallel rails as shown below. A battery that maintains a constant emf ε is connected between the rails, and a constant external magnetic field B is directed perpendicular to the plane of the page. Assuming the bar starts from rest and that the field produced by the rails is very small compared to the constant external magnetic field, show that at time t it moves with what speed
Relevant Equations
Shown below

View attachment 242527.
Above is the figure of the problem.

I am trying to solve x(t) and differentiate it to obtain v(t); however, I have difficulty solving the differential equation shown below.

$$ v(t)=\int a(t)dt=\int \frac{B(\varepsilon-Blv)d}{Rm}dt \Rightarrow \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{B\varepsilon d}{Rm}t-\frac{Bld}{Rm}x $$

If you are trying to find the speed, why not solve for that directly?

What is ##l##? Is that the same as ##d##?

Likes christang_1023
PeroK said:
If you are trying to find the speed, why not solve for that directly?

What is ##l##? Is that the same as ##d##?
##l## is the same as ##d##.
Not solving for v directly was because I consider that ## v(t)=v_0-\int a(t)dt,## which contains ##\int vdt=x##; therefore, I wanted to solve the ODE for x first, which is shown above.

Fortunately, thanks to your hint, I manage to solve v directly based on Newton's 2nd law:
$$ F=m \frac{dv}{dt} \Rightarrow \frac{B\varepsilon d-B^2d^2v}{mR}=\frac{dv}{dt} $$

christang_1023 said:
##l## is the same as ##d##.
Not solving for v directly was because I consider that ## v(t)=v_0-\int a(t)dt,## which contains ##\int vdt=x##; therefore, I wanted to solve the ODE for x first, which is shown above.

Fortunately, thanks to your hint, I manage to solve v directly based on Newton's 2nd law:
$$ F=m \frac{dv}{dt} \Rightarrow \frac{B\varepsilon d-B^2d^2v}{mR}=\frac{dv}{dt} $$

What does your answer look like if ##B## is small? Does it make sense?

PeroK said:
What does your answer look like if ##B## is small? Does it make sense?
The result is $$ v(t)=\frac{\varepsilon}{Bd} (1-e^{-\frac{B^2d}{mR}t}) $$
According to L'Hospital's Rule, ## \lim_{B \to 0} v(t)=0,## that is to say when B is sufficiently small, the bar won't move at all, and the whole circuit remains still. It is reasonable.

Likes PeroK

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It expresses how the rate of change of the function is related to the function itself.

What is motional emf?

Motional emf (electromotive force) is the voltage induced in a conductor moving through a magnetic field. It is caused by the relative motion between the conductor and the magnetic field.

How is the differential equation of motional emf solved?

The differential equation of motional emf is solved using the laws of electromagnetism, such as Faraday's law, which states that the induced emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor.

What are the applications of the differential equation of motional emf?

The differential equation of motional emf is used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and astrophysics. It is used to calculate the induced voltage in generators, motors, and other devices that use electromagnetic principles.

Are there any real-life examples of the differential equation of motional emf?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the differential equation of motional emf. Some common examples include electric generators, transformers, induction cooktops, and electric motors. It is also used in the study of Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of charged particles in space.