Solve the following system and interpret the result geometrically

• Thread starter lamerali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, by solving the given system of equations, we find that the three planes intersect at the point (70/11, -3/11, 0) and are parallel to the z-axis. This geometrically represents the intersection of three planes in three-dimensional space.
lamerali
Solve the following system and interpret the result geometrically

3x + 4y + 5z - 18 = 0
2x - y + 8z - 13 = 0
-x + 17y + 25z + 11 = 0

My answer:
3x + 4y + 5z – 18 = 0 (1)
2x – y + 8z – 13 = 0 (2)
-x + 17y + 25z + 11 = 0 (3)

Multiply (1) by 2 and (2) by 3

6x + 8y + 10z – 36 = 0
6x – 3y + 24z – 39 = 0

Subtract the two equations

11y – 14z + 3 = 0 (4)

Multiply equation (3) by -3

3x – 51y – 75z – 33 = 0

Subtract the equation from (1)

55y + 80z + 15 = 0

Simplify

11y + 16z + 3 = 0 (5)

We now have the new system
11y – 14z + 3 = 0 (4)
11y + 16z + 3 = 0 (5)

Subtract (4) from (5)

30z = 0

this is as far as i got...i'm not sure if it is correct and if it is correct i don't know what it geometrically represents.
any guidance is appreciated
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing fine so far. Now finish by finding x and y. If you think of x,y,z as three dimensional coordinates then the graph of each of those equations is very simple geometrical figure. Can you name it? Solving them simultaneously is the same as finding the intersection in geometric language.

Solve for z
z = 0

substitute z = 0 into equation (4)

11y – 14(0) + 3 = 0

11y + 3 = 0
y = 3/11

substitute y and z into equation (1) to find x

3x + 4(3/11) + 5(0) – 18 = 0
x = 5.6

Therefore the planes intersect at the point (5.6, 0.273, 0) and are parallel to the z axis.

am i getting somewhere?
THANKS

lamerali said:
Solve for z
z = 0

substitute z = 0 into equation (4)

11y – 14(0) + 3 = 0

11y + 3 = 0
y = 3/11

3x + 4(3/11) + 5(0) – 18 = 0
x = 5.6

Therefore the planes intersect at the point (5.6, 0.273, 0) and are parallel to the z axis.

am i getting somewhere?
THANKS

You are getting somewhere, but you are being pretty sloppy on the way. Shouldn't y=(-3/11)? Once you have (x,-3/11,0) then, sure, you have three planes that intersect in that point. But why would say any of them is parallel to the z axis? What would the equation of a plane parallel to the z axis look like?

i got confused for some reason i thought because the z value of the point was zero there was a plane parallel to the z-axis...
so in the end would i simply say:

3x + 4(-3/11) + 5(0) – 18 = 0
x = -6.4

Therefore the three planes intersect at the point (-6.4, 0.273, 0)

lamerali said:
i got confused for some reason i thought because the z value of the point was zero there was a plane parallel to the z-axis...
so in the end would i simply say:

x = -6.4

Therefore the three planes intersect at the point (-6.4, 0.273, 0)

Now you've got the x value wrong. :( Why don't you just express them all as fraction like -3/11. That way you don't have to worry about round off.

x = -70/11

Therefore the three planes intersect at the point (-70/11, -3/11, 0)

You are making the same mistake as with y. The SIGN is wrong. Figure out what you are doing wrong that is causing this to happen and don't do it again!

ahhh...i wasn't switching the sign when I added it to the R.S so the point is (70/11, -3/11, 0)

Riggght.

YAY! Thanks for the help!

1. What does it mean to "solve a system"?

Solving a system means finding the values of all the variables in the system that make all of the equations true.

2. How do you solve a system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The best method to use depends on the specific equations in the system.

3. What does it mean to "interpret the result geometrically"?

Interpreting the result geometrically means understanding the solution in terms of points, lines, and other geometric shapes. This can involve graphing the equations in the system and looking at where the lines intersect.

4. How can solving a system of equations be useful in real life?

Solving a system of equations is useful in many real-life situations, such as finding the optimal solution to a problem, calculating the break-even point in business, or determining the intersection point of two moving objects.

5. What happens if there is no solution to a system of equations?

If there is no solution to a system of equations, it means that the lines represented by the equations do not intersect and therefore, there is no point that satisfies all of the equations. This could mean that the system is inconsistent or the equations are parallel.