1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line of Intersection of 3 planes

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataSolve the following systems and interpret the result geometrically
    3x + 4y + 5z - 18 = 0
    2x - y + 8z - 13 = 0
    -x + 17y + 25z + 11 = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution Ive been working on this problem for a while, The first thing i did was find if the vectors are coplanar by V1 . V2xV3 and they are not and then i checked there to see if they were parralel and neither are parralel to the other, so therefore there should be a point of intersection right? But i tryed solve it over and over again but i couldnt come up with a solution, that is could not find x,y and z that satifies all 3 equations which therefore means there is no solution and no point of intersection? am i doing somthing wrong or is this question faulty.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi there mikee! :smile:

Three planes can intersect in a line …

take any two of the given planes, and fine their common line.

Then check to see if that line happens to be on the third plane. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?