Solve the inequality for x, given that (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] <

  • Thread starter Thread starter agl89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
agl89
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Solve the inequality for x, given that (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0


Homework Equations



I can't think of any for this type of problem...


The Attempt at a Solution



(4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0
4(x - 4) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0


I'm not sure where to go from here. I haven't worked one of these types of problems in awhile...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
agl89 said:

Homework Statement



Solve the inequality for x, given that (4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0


Homework Equations



I can't think of any for this type of problem...


The Attempt at a Solution



(4x - 16) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0
4(x - 4) / [(x - 3)(x - 9)] < 0


I'm not sure where to go from here. I haven't worked one of these types of problems in awhile...

Multiply both sides of the inequality by something, to get rid of the denominator...
 
Start by looking for the x values that make each individual factor 0: what do you know about how the sign of a rational expression behaves between locations where the expression is zero or undefined?