Solve the iterative problem below

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iterative
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of determining a suitable equation and finding the value of x in the given numerical analysis problem. It was noted that there was a typo in the problem statement, which led to confusion, but the correct solution was eventually determined to be x = 0 or x = ∛50. There was also discussion on the possibility of dividing both sides of the equation by x, but it was concluded that this was not a good idea as it could result in missing potential solutions.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
numerical analysis
I need insight on ##Q.2 (ii)## part only,

1636205529013.png

find mark scheme here;
1636205589245.png

How do we determine suitable equation, ##x=x...##?

ok, just looking at the solution, we shall have;
##2x^3+50 = x^3+100##
##x^3=50##
→##x##=##\sqrt[3]50##≡##3.68403## which is the value of ##α## ( convergent value as indicated in previous step).

I think it was an error to indicate ##3\sqrt 50## ...am assuming it was a typo error which is a bit misleading...been cracking my head trying to figure out on this.:cool:

Last edited:
Likes Keith_McClary
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: see attached
Relevant Equations:: numerical analysis

I need insight on ##Q.2 (ii)## part only,

View attachment 291842

find mark scheme here;
View attachment 291843

How do we determine suitable equation, ##x=x...##?

ok, just looking at the solution, we shall have;
##2x^3+50 = x^3+100##
##x^3=50##
→##x##=##\sqrt[3]50##≡##3.68403## which is the value of ##α## ( convergent value as indicated in previous step).
From the recurrence relation, you can write this:
$$x = \frac{x^4 + 100x}{2x^3 + 50} \Rightarrow 2x^4 + 50 x = x^4 + 100x$$
IOW, all I did was replace ##x_n## and ##x_{n + 1}## by x.
The latter equation simplifies to ##x(x^3 - 50) = 0##, so x = 0 or ##x = \sqrt[3]{50}##
chwala said:
I think it was an error to indicate ##3\sqrt 50## ...am assuming it was a typo error which is a bit misleading...been cracking my head trying to figure out on this.:cool:
Yes, it was a typo in the problem statement. They wrote ##3\sqrt{50}## when they should have written ##\sqrt[3]{50}##; i.e., the cube root of 50, not ##3 * \sqrt{50}##.

Nice Mark, but you also realize that we could divide both sides of the equation by ##x##... to realize the required solution...
##x=0## in this case would not apply.

chwala said:
Nice Mark, but you also realize that we could divide both sides of the equation by ##x##... to realize the required solution...
##x=0## in this case would not apply.
It's almost never a good idea to divide both sides of an equation by the variable. x = 0 is a solution of the equation ##2x^4 + 50x = x^4 + 100x##, and is in fact a solution of the iterative formula ##x_{n+1} = \frac{x_n}2 \cdot \frac{x_n^3 + 100}{x_n^3 + 25}##

Mark44 said:
It's almost never a good idea to divide both sides of an equation by the variable. x = 0 is a solution of the equation ##2x^4 + 50x = x^4 + 100x##, and is in fact a solution of the iterative formula ##x_{n+1} = \frac{x_n}2 \cdot \frac{x_n^3 + 100}{x_n^3 + 25}##
Ok cheers Mark...agreed in that case, we may say that the mark scheme was not conclusive on the possibilities of ##x##. They ought to have given provision for two solutions, then indicate that solution ##x=0## is "unsuitable".

Last edited:

1. What is an iterative problem?

An iterative problem is a type of problem that requires a repeated process or algorithm to reach a solution. It involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts and continuously refining the solution until it meets the desired outcome.

2. How do you approach solving an iterative problem?

The first step in solving an iterative problem is to clearly define the problem and the desired outcome. Then, break down the problem into smaller steps or iterations and design an algorithm to solve each step. Continuously test and refine the solution until the desired outcome is achieved.

3. What is the difference between an iterative problem and a recursive problem?

While both iterative and recursive problems involve repeated processes, the main difference is that an iterative problem uses a loop to continuously refine the solution, while a recursive problem calls itself repeatedly until a base case is reached.

4. Can you provide an example of an iterative problem?

One example of an iterative problem is finding the square root of a number. This involves repeatedly refining an initial guess until the square of the guess is close enough to the original number. Another example is sorting a list of numbers in ascending order, which involves continuously swapping adjacent elements until the list is sorted.

5. What are some common challenges when solving an iterative problem?

Some common challenges when solving an iterative problem include choosing the most efficient algorithm, determining the correct stopping condition, and dealing with potential errors or bugs in the code. It is important to carefully plan and test the solution to ensure it is accurate and efficient.