Solve this vector system containing sum and dot product equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding a specific vector in a plane formed by two given vectors. The solution involves writing the unknown vectors in terms of other known vectors and using a unit vector and a constant to generate all possible solutions.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
All below
Relevant Equations
All below
1594813352799.png

Seems to me the answer is a specific vector:

The second forms a plane, while the first X is just a vector. The intersection between the λX that generates the (properties of all vectors that lie in the...) plane (i am not saying X is the director vector!)

How to write this in vector language?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you supposed to solve for? The first equation gives ##\vec x## precisely: ##\vec x = \vec u - \vec y##. What more is there to do?

LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: All below
Relevant Equations:: All below

View attachment 266376

Seems to me the answer is a specific vector:

The second forms a plane, while the first X is just a vector. The intersection between the λX that generates the (properties of all vectors that lie in the...) plane (i am not saying X is the director vector!)

How to write this in vector language?
You didn't specify whether this is a 2D or 3D problem. You also didn't specify that ##\vec u, ~ \vec v,~ m## are given constants and the unknowns are ##\vec x## and ##\vec y##. Is that correct? Certainly, if it is a 3D problem there can be many solutions. For example if ##\vec v = \langle 0,0,1\rangle## and ##m=0##, so ##\vec x## is perpendicular to ##\vec v## so ##\vec x## can be any vector in the ##xy## plane. Then no matter what ##\vec u## is ##\vec y = \vec u - \vec x## is a solution. So ##\vec u## and ##\vec x ## can be all over the place.

The problem is not i didn't specify, the question is really just it.
Seeing the answer, it write x and y in terms of others vectors a and b.
The answers is right to me, but at same time a little biased, as you both said.

1594837952875.png

LCSphysicist said:
The problem is not i didn't specify, the question is really just it.
Seeing the answer, it write x and y in terms of others vectors a and b.
The answers is right to me, but at same time a little biased, as you both said.

View attachment 266391
Unless there was more info provided, I see no way to guess this 'solution' is what was wanted. Indeed, I would propose a better 'solution' is to omit ##\vec b## and define a as a unit vector. ##\frac{m\vec v}{|\vec v|^2}+\lambda\hat a##, where ##\vec v.\hat a=0##, generates all solutions of ##\vec x.\vec v=m##.

1. What is a vector system?

A vector system is a set of equations that involve vectors and their operations, such as addition and dot product. It is used to solve for unknown vector quantities.

2. What is the sum equation in a vector system?

The sum equation in a vector system is used to find the resultant vector when two or more vectors are added together. It is represented by the formula: A + B = C, where A and B are the given vectors and C is the resultant vector.

3. What is the dot product equation in a vector system?

The dot product equation in a vector system is used to find the scalar value of the projection of one vector onto another. It is represented by the formula: A · B = |A||B|cosθ, where A and B are the given vectors, |A| and |B| are their magnitudes, and θ is the angle between them.

4. How do you solve a vector system?

To solve a vector system, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination, or geometric methods such as graphical representation or vector components. It is important to follow the rules of vector operations and keep track of the direction and magnitude of each vector.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector systems?

Vector systems have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to analyze forces and motion in mechanics, design structures and machines, and create realistic 3D animations and simulations.