1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving 2D projectile motion problem for angle, given displacement and time.

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    - I need to find the appropriate launch angle that will land an object 65 meters north of my position. Therefore Δdx = 65m [N]
    - I am told that the time the object take to hit the ground is 5.23 seconds. Therefore Δt = 5.23s
    - I then used the equation Δdx = v1xΔt to find v1x = 12.43 m/s.

After this I haven't a clue what to do next. Would someone kindly outline the steps I need to take to find the launch angle. Muchas gracias:smile:.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    If you look at the projectile motion in the y (up) direction [tex] y = y_0 + v_{yo}t + \frac{1}{2}a t^2 [/tex] the only variable you don't know is the initial velocity in the y direction [itex] v_{yo} [/itex]. Can you express [itex] v_{yo} [/itex] in terms of the launch angle and v1x? In this case the equation can be solved for the launch angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook