• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Solving a 2nd order ODE using Green's Function

1. Homework Statement
The homogeneous Helmholtz equation

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2\psi+\lambda^2\psi=0[/tex]

has eigenvalues [tex]\lambda^2_i[/tex] and eigenfunctions [tex]\psi_i[/tex]. Show that the corresponding Green's function that satisfies

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 G(\vec{r}_1, \vec{r}_2)+\lambda^2 G(\vec{r}_1, \vec{r}_2)=-\delta(\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2)[/tex]

may be written as

[tex]G(\vec{r}_1, \vec{r}_2)=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{\psi_i(\vec{r}_1)\psi_i(\vec{r}_2)}{\lambda^2_i-\lambda^2}[/tex]

2. Homework Equations

[tex]\int(\psi \bigtriangledown^2 G-G\bigtriangledown^2 \psi) d\tau_2=\int(\psi \bigtriangledown G-G\bigtriangledown\psi) d\sigma[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using Arfken's Mathematical methods for physicists, and it isn't very good at explaining the examples it uses. I just need some kind of jump start to get me going. Do I need to use the equation in the relevant equations section?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You might want to start by writing out the definition of "Green's function"- that's far more important than examples.

Green's function for a linear, nonhomogeneous, differential equation, L(Y)=f(x), where L( ) is a linear differential operator, with given boundary conditions, is a function G(r, r') such that
1) L(G(r,r'))= 0 for all r not equal to r'
2) limit as r->r' from the right of L(G(r, r')) minus the limit as r->r' from the left of L(G(r,r'))= 1.
3) G(r, r') satisfies the boundary conditions.
2)

How do I know the boundary conditions? The problem doesn't state any. Do I just assume there aren't any?