Solving a DE with linear coefficients

In summary, the conversation is about solving a linear equation by recognizing linear coefficients and using a system of equations. The solution involves finding an intersection point and using substitutions to simplify the equation. After some algebraic manipulations, the final answer is found to be (y+x-4)^3=c(y+2x-3)^2.
MostlyHarmless

Homework Statement

[tex](2x-y)dx+(4x+y-6)dy=0[/tex] I need to solve by recognizing that I have linear coefficients

Homework Equations

[tex]2x-y=0[/tex]
[tex]4x+y-6=0[/tex]
Solving this system of equations I get x=1 and y=2

The Attempt at a Solution

After finding my intersection point to be (1,2) I let u=x-1, v=y-2. Which gives, x=u+1 dx=du, and y=v+2 dy=dv
I substitute back for x and y and get [tex](2(u+1)-(v-2))du+(4(u+1)+(v+2)-6)dv=0[/tex] I simplified and got [tex](2u-v)du+(4u+v)dv=0[/tex] Now I have a homogeneous function of degree 1. so I let [tex]w={\frac{u}{v}}[/tex] which gives u=vw du=vdw+wdv
making that substitution and dividing by v gives [tex](2w-1)(vdw+wdv)+(4w+1)dv=0[/tex] Which gives [tex](2w^2+3w+1)dv+v(2w-1)dw=0[/tex]
This is where i get stuck. Now, i separate the variables. [tex]∫{\frac{1}{v}}dv+∫{\frac{2w-1}{2w^2+3w+1}}dw=0[/tex] The answer in the back of the book is x+2y+c=3ln(x+y+2), the book is notorious for over simplifying their final answer but, even then. I can't get there. I've tried partial fraction decomposition, observation, everything I can think of, maybe my brain is just tired and I'm missing something really obvious.

EDIT: I was right on one account. I am really tired and i missed something obvious. I was looking at the wrong answer in the back. The actual answer is [tex](x+y-3)^3=c(2x+y-4)^2[/tex] I'll go back and see if I can't get this answer after I finish the problem I'm on.

Update: I did get retry this and I got [tex](y+2x-4)^3=c(y+x-3)^2[/tex] My answer and the books answer are different in that the exponents are swapped. Now I can't see how they got their exponents opposite of mine, and its late. So I'm going to chalk this up as a typo and call it a win.

I solved this by doing partial fractions, but instead of using w=u/v I used w=v/u. This made it cleaner. It took way too much algebra to get from the raw anti-derivative to the answer I got.

Just becuase I'm kinda proud of this, and if someone see's an algebra mistake that would yield what the book has, then all the better.

After doing partial fractions and substiuting back for x and y I get:
[tex]ln(x-1)+3ln({\frac{y-2}{x-1}}+2)=2ln({\frac{y-2}{x-1}}+1)+lnc[/tex]
Combining my ln's i get [tex]ln(({\frac{y-2}{x-1}}+2)^3(x-1))=ln(c({\frac{y-2}{x-1}}+1)^2)[/tex]Writing both sides as a power of e I get: [tex]({\frac{y-2}{x-1}}+2)^3(x-1)=c({\frac{y-2}{x-1}}+1)^2[/tex]Writing both sides with a common denominator I get:[tex]{\frac{(y+x-4)^3}{(x-1)^3}}(x-1)=c{\frac{(y+2x-3)^2}{(x-1)^2}}[/tex] Now I multiply through by (x-1)2 And I get my final answer [tex](y+x-4)^3=c(y+2x-3)^2[/tex]

Man, that was fun! :)

Another Update: When copying the problem down on my homework, I noticed an error in my partial fractions. Where I had my values for A and B switched. So by fixing that mistake, I did end up with the exact answer in the back of the book! Hooray!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Condensed to one post.

Last edited:
Combined with OP.

Last edited:

What is a differential equation with linear coefficients?

A differential equation with linear coefficients is an equation that involves a dependent variable and its derivatives, with the coefficients of these terms being constants. In other words, the highest degree of the dependent variable in the equation is 1 and there are no products or powers of the dependent variable.

Why is it important to solve a DE with linear coefficients?

Solving a differential equation with linear coefficients helps us understand the relationship between a variable and its rate of change, which is crucial in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

What are the steps to solve a DE with linear coefficients?

The steps to solving a DE with linear coefficients include identifying the dependent variable, finding its derivatives, substituting them into the equation, grouping like terms, isolating the dependent variable, and integrating to find the general solution. Additional initial conditions may be needed to find a specific solution.

What methods can be used to solve a DE with linear coefficients?

The most common methods used to solve a DE with linear coefficients are separation of variables, integrating factor, and variation of parameters. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the specific equation and initial conditions.

Are there any applications of solving DEs with linear coefficients?

Yes, there are many applications of solving DEs with linear coefficients, such as modeling population growth, predicting chemical reactions, analyzing circuit behavior, and studying fluid dynamics. These equations can also be applied in economics, biology, and other fields to understand and predict various phenomena.