1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solving a Differential Equation from story problem

1. May 15, 2010 #1

TG3

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A mass weighing 2 lbs stretches a spring 6 inches. If the mass is then pulled down an additional 3 inches and then released, and there is no damping, determine the position u of the mass at ay time T according to the form Acos(wT-phi).

The attempt at a solution

The k of the spring is 2 lbs/ 6 inches, or 1/3 lbs/inches. The mass is 2lbs/32ft/sec^2, or 1/16.

From this I get the differential equation:
    1/16U'' +1/3U = 0

Making U e^rt and skipping a few steps
    1/16r^2+1/3 = 0
    Using the quadratic:
    r = 0+- 8 sqroot(1/12) (-1/12 actually, but it doesn't matter here.)

So: y = C1 cosine (8 sqroot(1/12)T) + C2 sine (8 sqroot(1/12)T)

The initial condition of y(0) ought to be 3, since the spring was stretched 3 inches, and y'(0) ought to be 0 since it was released not pushed, correct? (I'm suspicious of this step.)

If so, y(0) = C1 cosine (8 sqroot(1/12)T) + 0 (since the sine of 0 is 0).
    And furthermore, y(0) = C1, so C1 =3.

y'(0) = [0] + C2 (8 sqroot(1/12)) cosine (8 sqroot(1/12)T)
    y'(0) = C2 (8 sqroot (1/12))
    0 = C2

So y=3cosine(8sqroot(1/12)T)

From this, translating to the form of A cosine (wT-phi) isn't hard:
    A = (3^2)^.5 = 3
    W = 8 sqroot(1/12)
    And phi is tan^-1 (0/3) = 0

My solution is 3 cosine 8(sqroot(1/12))T.

Unfortunately, this is wrong. Where did I goof up?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There are also two initial conditions. You should state them with your differential equation.
    Well, really it does, since it makes the difference between complex solutions for r and real solutions.

In any case,
    Be consistent in your variables. The dependent variable started off as u; now it's y.

It all depends on which direction you choose to be the positive y axis. I would be more inclined to say that y(0) = -3.
    It could be that the book's answer has rationalized the radical. What answer does the book give?

4. May 15, 2010 #3

TG3

The answer given is:
    .25 cos(8t)

5. May 16, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your spring constant is incorrect, which leads to an incorrect differential equation. The mass is 1/16 slug (1 slug = 32 lb/(ft/sec)^2). Your spring constant is 2lb/6 in = 4 lb/ft. The spring constant should not be in terms of inches.

All length measures, including the initial condition, should be in terms of feet, not inches.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook