Solving a First Order Initial Value Problem

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation y''(0) by differentiating it and solving for y''. However, they ran into trouble when they couldn't integrate the equation and needed to use the value of y at 0.
KevinD6

Homework Statement

If y = y(t) is the solution of the initial value problem
y' + (2 t + 1) y = 2 cos(t)
y(0) = 2
What is y''(0)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a first order linear, I started out by finding the integrating factor so I can find what y is, and then just take the second derivative of it, and then put it to 0.

[itex] IF = e^{ \int {2t + 1} } => IF = e^{t^2 + t} [/itex]
Then, I end up with this equation, if we set IF = k.
[itex] (ky)' = k (2 cos(t)) [/itex]

From here, I don't think I can integrate that equation, so now I'm pretty much stuck. Is there a method I'm missing? Or could I find the value of the second derivative using the value of y at 0?
Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
KevinD6 said:

Homework Statement

If y = y(t) is the solution of the initial value problem
y' + (2 t + 1) y = 2 cos(t)
y(0) = 2
What is y''(0)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a first order linear, I started out by finding the integrating factor so I can find what y is, and then just take the second derivative of it, and then put it to 0.

[itex] IF = e^{ \int {2t + 1} } => IF = e^{t^2 + t} [/itex]
Then, I end up with this equation, if we set IF = k.
[itex] (ky)' = k (2 cos(t)) [/itex]

From here, I don't think I can integrate that equation, so now I'm pretty much stuck. Is there a method I'm missing? Or could I find the value of the second derivative using the value of y at 0?
Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Instead of trying to solve the original DE, try just differentiating it once and solving for ##y''## and see if you can get the answer from that.

Wow! I can't believe I didn't see that, haha, thanks man. Much appreciated.

1. What is a first order initial value problem?

A first order initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a first order differential equation with a given initial condition. It typically involves finding a function that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial condition.

2. What is the general approach to solving a first order initial value problem?

The general approach to solving a first order initial value problem is to first separate the variables in the differential equation, then integrate both sides to find the general solution. Next, substitute the initial condition into the general solution to find the value of the constant. This will give the specific solution to the initial value problem.

3. What are the two main methods for solving a first order initial value problem?

The two main methods for solving a first order initial value problem are the method of separation of variables and the method of integrating factors. Both methods involve manipulating the differential equation to make it easier to integrate and solve for the solution.

4. How is the accuracy of the solution to a first order initial value problem determined?

The accuracy of the solution to a first order initial value problem is determined by comparing it to the exact solution. This can be done by plugging the solution into the original differential equation and checking if it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable.

5. What are some practical applications of solving first order initial value problems?

Solving first order initial value problems has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of dynamic systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and solving real-world problems in these fields.