Solving a vector equation which seems to be indeterminate.

• Thread starter plasmoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to determine the vector \vec{B} in the equation \vec{A} \times \vec{B} = \vec{C}, you must first choose a "gauge" and pick a value for kappa to make \vec{B} perpendicular to \vec{A}. Then, using the fact that \vec{A} \times \vec{B} is perpendicular to both \vec{A} and \vec{B}, you can find the magnitude of \vec{B} and use it to solve for the components of \vec{B} in the system of equations involving \vec{A} and \vec{C}.
plasmoid
I have a vector equation:

[itex]\vec{A} \times \vec{B} = \vec{C} [/itex]. [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{C}[/itex] are known, and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] must be determined. However, upon trying to use Cramer's rule to solve the system of three equations, I find that the determinant we need is zero. I know now that I need to choose a "gauge" to proceed, but can someone outline what comes next? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that AxB is perpendicular to both A and B, which means that B is a vector which is perpendicular to C. You have lots of choices for B because AxA = 0, so in particular
[tex] A\times B = A\times(B+\kappa A) [/tex]
for any choice of kappa. In particular you can pick kappa to make B perpendicular to A. Once you have B is perpendicular to A and C, all that's left is to find its magnitude (which you can do using the fact that |AxB| = |A||B| if they are perpendicular)

Office_Shredder said:
You know that AxB is perpendicular to both A and B, which means that B is a vector which is perpendicular to C. You have lots of choices for B because AxA = 0, so in particular
[tex] A\times B = A\times(B+\kappa A) [/tex]
for any choice of kappa. In particular you can pick kappa to make B perpendicular to A. Once you have B is perpendicular to A and C, all that's left is to find its magnitude (which you can do using the fact that |AxB| = |A||B| if they are perpendicular)

Makes sense. Now I have |B|. To get the components of [itex]\vec{B}[/itex], I can use

[itex]0 = A_{x}[/itex] [itex]B_{x}[/itex] + [itex]A_{y}[/itex][itex]B_{y}[/itex]+ [itex]A_{z}[/itex][itex]B_{z}[/itex]

and

[itex] 0 = C_{x}[/itex] [itex]B_{x}[/itex] + [itex]C_{y}[/itex][itex]B_{y}[/itex]+ [itex]C_{z}[/itex][itex]B_{z}[/itex],

and

[itex]B^{2} = B_{x}^{2} + B_{y}^{2} + B_{z}^{2}[/itex] .

Does that sound right?

Last edited:

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that involves two or more vectors. Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement.

2. What does it mean for a vector equation to be indeterminate?

An indeterminate vector equation is one that does not have a unique solution. This means that there are multiple sets of values for the vectors that satisfy the equation. In other words, the equation cannot be solved for a single set of values.

3. How do you solve an indeterminate vector equation?

To solve an indeterminate vector equation, you need to use additional information or constraints to narrow down the possible solutions. This can be done by adding more equations, using geometric properties, or applying other mathematical techniques such as matrix operations.

4. Can an indeterminate vector equation have no solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an indeterminate vector equation to have no solutions. This can happen when the additional information or constraints added to the equation create contradictory conditions, making it impossible to find a set of values that satisfy all the equations.

5. How is solving an indeterminate vector equation useful in real-world applications?

Solving indeterminate vector equations is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. In these applications, there are often multiple unknown variables that need to be calculated, and using vector equations allows for a more efficient and accurate solution compared to other methods.