Solving an ODE with power series method

In summary, I'm not sure how solving for y around x = 1 would help me with the recurrence relation for a_k.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Solve ##(1-x)y''+y=0## at the point ##x_0=0##. Use this solution to find a solution to ##xy''+y=0## around the point ##x_0=1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##(1-x)y''+y=0##
##(x-1)y''=y##
##\displaystyle\sum_{k=2}^\infty a_k k (k-1)\left(x^{k+3}-x^{k+2}\right)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k x^k##

I tried to find a recurrence relation for ##a_k##, but I keep getting 0 for all k. I realize that y = 0 is a solution, but I don't know how that would help me in the second part.

Physics news on Phys.org
SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

Solve ##(1-x)y''+y=0## at the point ##x_0=0##. Use this solution to find a solution to ##xy''+y=0## around the point ##x_0=1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##(1-x)y''+y=0##
##(x-1)y''=y##
##\displaystyle\sum_{k=2}^\infty a_k k (k-1)\left(x^{k+3}-x^{k+2}\right)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k x^k##

I tried to find a recurrence relation for ##a_k##, but I keep getting 0 for all k. I realize that y = 0 is a solution, but I don't know how that would help me in the second part.

Compare the coefficients of xk: they have to be the same on both sides.

What do yo get for the constant term? What is the linear term?

ehild

Right, that's where my problem occurs:

##y''=\sum_{k=2}^\infty a_k k(k-1)\left(x^{k+3}-x^{k+2}\right)=a_2 (2\cdot1)\left(x^5-x^4\right)+a_3 (3\cdot2)\left(x^6-x^5\right)+a_4 (4\cdot3)\left(x^7-x^6\right)+\cdots##

##y=\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k x^k=a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2+ a_3x^3+a_4x^4+\cdots##

Matching up coefficients, I have
##a_0=0\\ a_1=0\\ a_2=0 \\ a_3=0\\
a_4=-(2\cdot1)a_2=0 \\ a_5=(2\cdot1)a_2-(3\cdot2)a_3=0\\ \text{and so on...}##

The second derivative of y is wrong. The correct equation is

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{k=2}^\infty a_k k (k-1)\left(x^{k-2}-x^{k-1}\right)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k x^k[/tex]

ehild

Oh, right. I had (k + 2) on my mind for some reason. Thanks for pointing that out!

1. What is the power series method for solving ODEs?

The power series method is a mathematical technique used to find solutions to ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It involves expressing the solution as a series of terms containing increasing powers of the independent variable.

2. When is the power series method most useful for solving ODEs?

The power series method is most useful for solving ODEs when the equations are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional analytical methods such as separation of variables or substitution. It is also useful for finding approximate solutions to nonlinear ODEs.

3. What is the process for using the power series method to solve an ODE?

The process for using the power series method to solve an ODE involves substituting the given ODE into a power series representation, solving for the coefficients of the series, and then substituting the coefficients back into the original series to obtain the solution.

4. What are the benefits of using the power series method to solve ODEs?

One of the main benefits of using the power series method is that it can be used to find solutions to a wide range of ODEs, including those that are nonlinear and non-homogeneous. It also allows for the calculation of approximate solutions, which can be useful in situations where an exact solution is not needed.

5. Are there any limitations to using the power series method for solving ODEs?

While the power series method can be a powerful tool for solving ODEs, it does have some limitations. It can be time-consuming and tedious to calculate the coefficients of the series, especially for more complicated ODEs. In addition, the method may not always converge to a solution, particularly if the ODE has singular points or if the series has a radius of convergence that is too small.