1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an ODE with power series method

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve ##(1-x)y''+y=0## at the point ##x_0=0##. Use this solution to find a solution to ##xy''+y=0## around the point ##x_0=1##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##(1-x)y''+y=0##
    ##(x-1)y''=y##
    ##\displaystyle\sum_{k=2}^\infty a_k k (k-1)\left(x^{k+3}-x^{k+2}\right)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k x^k##

I tried to find a recurrence relation for ##a_k##, but I keep getting 0 for all k. I realize that y = 0 is a solution, but I don't know how that would help me in the second part.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Compare the coefficients of xk: they have to be the same on both sides.

What do yo get for the constant term? What is the linear term?

ehild

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    Right, that's where my problem occurs:

##y''=\sum_{k=2}^\infty a_k k(k-1)\left(x^{k+3}-x^{k+2}\right)=a_2 (2\cdot1)\left(x^5-x^4\right)+a_3 (3\cdot2)\left(x^6-x^5\right)+a_4 (4\cdot3)\left(x^7-x^6\right)+\cdots##

##y=\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k x^k=a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2+ a_3x^3+a_4x^4+\cdots##

Matching up coefficients, I have
    ##a_0=0\\ a_1=0\\ a_2=0 \\ a_3=0\\
    a_4=-(2\cdot1)a_2=0 \\ a_5=(2\cdot1)a_2-(3\cdot2)a_3=0\\ \text{and so on...}##

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The second derivative of y is wrong. The correct equation is

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{k=2}^\infty a_k k (k-1)\left(x^{k-2}-x^{k-1}\right)=\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k x^k[/tex]

ehild

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    Oh, right. I had (k + 2) on my mind for some reason. Thanks for pointing that out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted