1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving components of vectors

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let resultant vector A = 17 i hat - 42 j hat and resultant vector B = 31 j hat + 18 k hat. Find the resultant vector C such that the sum of resultant vector A, B and C equals resultant vector zero. Find the i,j and k components of resultant vector C.

2. Relevant equations
    understand the basic of vectors i hat is in the x axis and j hat is the y axis. negative vector points down and left. positive vectors point right and up. use the tail to head rule to connect vectors.

3. The attempt at a solution
    vectors.png
    I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem. Do I add the vectors with the same hats?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. If a resultant vector is 0, then it can't have any components. So when you add up the individual vectors with the same hats , they must sum to___??____. Watch plus and minus signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook