1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving coupled differential equations for spin-1/2 in a B-field

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(Sorry, I don't know how to use latex)

Solve the TDSE for a spin half nucleus in a B-field where B_z = B0, B_y= B1 cos(ωt) and B_x = B1 sin(ωt).
    Use vector and matrix representation. You will get coupled differential equations for a and b, look for solutions of the form a = a_0 ω_a e^(i ω_a t) and b = b_0 ω_b e^(i ω_b t)

2. Relevant equations

|ψ> = column vector (a,b)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done all of the problem but have got stuck trying to find the solutions in the form a = a_0 ω_a e^(i ω_a t) and b = b_0 ω_b e^(i ω_b t)

I have (da/dt) = (-i [itex]\gamma[/itex] t /2) (B_0 a + B_1 b e^(-i [itex]\omega [/itex] t) )

(db/dt) = (i [itex]\gamma[/itex] t / 2 ) (B_0 b + B_1 a e^(i [itex]\omega[/itex] t ) )

but don't know how to separate them. My lecturer gave me the hint that the equations have to hold at all times, not just time = t, so I tried using t=0, getting rid of the exponentials, but that didn't help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    these eqn can be made algebraic by using just the differential of a(t) and b(t) which you have just written.

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    Can yo ugive me a hint at how to start with that though? I have no idea what to do

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4
    you can put value of a(t)=a0e(iωat) and similarly for b(t) in the differential eqn. and you can see after that there is only algebraic eqn to solve.you can put t=o after to get those a0 and others.It seems you are doing something wrong so check out your calculation.You can see feynman lectures vol. 3 for similar problems although solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook