Solving Destructive Interference: Angle vs Wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses the destructive interference equation for small angles and the factors that may lead to incorrect answers when using the equation. The speaker realizes they were using the wrong equation and learns about the importance of considering the relevant factors when solving physics problems. They also come to understand the concept of slits better.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
angle=wavelength/(2a)
The destructive interference equation for small angles is angle=wavelength/(2a), where a is the width. I assume it means destructive interference since its talking about areas where no light is present.

Using the equation after changing degrees into radians I get the answer of 2491 nm when the answer shoould be 9982 nm. the answer is approx. 4 times as large. Where am I going wrong here?

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 85
Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
Hi,

Study http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/sinslit.html to find a factor of 2 (basically: you have the wrong relevant equation) and consider that the exercise text (were you not to be bothered retyping it ?) talks about the second angle to find another factor of 2 ...

##\ ##
i see, I was using a double slit eqn instead of a single slit. Looking at your link, tanx=x=y/D.

So i don't know what y is nor d.

d=y/x=y/0.108 = 9.2593y

Now I can use y=(m*wavelength*D)/a to find width. m i assume is 2 because second angle measurement...

0.108d=(2*539 nm *d)/a

a=9981.4815

This is good. Thanks. I have more understanding over slits now that *hopefully* I won't just haphazardly use an equation that seems appropriate.

Likes BvU and berkeman

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in amplitude or complete cancellation of the wave.

2. How does angle affect destructive interference?

The angle at which two waves meet can affect the degree of destructive interference. If the waves meet at an angle, the amplitude of the resulting wave will be less than if they meet at a straight angle, due to the waves not being perfectly aligned to cancel each other out.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and destructive interference?

The wavelength of a wave also affects the degree of destructive interference. If the wavelength of the two waves is the same, they will cancel each other out completely. However, if the wavelengths are slightly different, there will be some degree of destructive interference but not complete cancellation.

4. How can destructive interference be used in practical applications?

Destructive interference can be used to cancel out unwanted noise or signals in telecommunications and audio equipment. It is also utilized in noise-cancelling headphones to block out external sounds.

5. Can destructive interference occur with other types of waves besides sound?

Yes, destructive interference can occur with all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves such as light. In fact, this phenomenon is what causes the colors seen in thin films, such as oil slicks or soap bubbles.