Color of Light: Frequency vs Wavelength.

In summary: The wavelength may change as light travels through different media, but the frequency remains the same. This is why we perceive the same color regardless of the medium it travels through. In summary, color is determined by frequency, which remains the same regardless of the medium, but the wavelength may change. This is why we perceive the same color even when the light travels through different media.
Stella.Physics
So today I was thinking that color is connected with a given wavelength (for example red light in air is about 600nm) but after some research online I found out that color depends on the frequency and when light travels through various optical media (like air, glass etc) speed and wavelength change according to ƒ= v/λ so that the frequency f remains the same for all media. That's why it will remain red throughout all media.
So I found that red color for example may have many wavelength values depending on which medium it propagates. So if a red laser beam travels through air and then it goes through water, the speed and wavelength will change and the wavelength of the red laser in air is 600 nm but in water the wavelength of the same frequency gets about 460nm which corresponds to blue in air.
So I guess color is connected to a specific wavelength(like we are taught) but ONLY in air media(n=1), and universally frequency remains the same through all media, which is what defines what color we will perceive.
Unfortunately, it's confusing that certain wavelengths are associated with certain colors perceptually but these values apply only in air.
I would like to read any comments on the topic.

I used this page as source:

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/bblovrvw/emails/lightfrequency.html

Science news on Phys.org
You got it right, pretty much.
Why are you confused, then?

The color is a perception concept, not a physical attribute. But it depends on the frequency of the light, but not in a 1 to 1 relationship. You can get same perception with more than one frequency.

And if you wish to associate color with a wavelengths, it should be the wavelength in the eye receptor and not in any other medium. So if you are in water and look at red light, the wavelength through water will indeed reduced but the wavelength in the medium of your eye will be the same as when you receive that red light from air (or glass, or anything else).

It is just more convenient to identify light by wavelength in air. Not just for perception. The wavelength of a laser for example, is given as the value in air.

thanks for the reply ,

yes you can get perceptually,say white light, with combining two or more 'narrow band'/monochromatic frequencies ( like with the early LED lights)

And I agree with the eye comment. The last medium before the receptors inside the eye will always be of the same n / Index Of Refraction so no matter what was 'before' that , a specific frequency will all end up being seen as the same color always.

You are right. What determines the color is essentially frequency.

What is the difference between frequency and wavelength in terms of color of light?

Frequency and wavelength are two properties of light that describe its color. Frequency refers to the number of complete waves that pass a given point in one second, measured in Hertz (Hz). Wavelength, on the other hand, refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave, measured in meters (m). In terms of color of light, frequency determines the perceived color, while wavelength determines the shade or tint of that color.

How are frequency and wavelength related in the color spectrum?

Frequency and wavelength have an inverse relationship in the color spectrum. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This is because the speed of light is constant, so when the frequency increases, the wavelength has to decrease to maintain that constant speed. This relationship is described by the equation: c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

Do all colors of light have the same frequency?

No, all colors of light do not have the same frequency. Each color of light has a different frequency, which determines its position in the color spectrum. For example, red light has a lower frequency than blue light, which is why it appears at the longer wavelength end of the visible spectrum.

How does the frequency and wavelength of light affect its energy?

The frequency and wavelength of light are directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the light increases, and as the wavelength decreases, the energy of the light increases. This relationship is described by the equation: E = hν, where E is the energy of the light, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency.

Can the frequency or wavelength of light be changed?

Yes, both the frequency and wavelength of light can be changed. This can be achieved through various methods such as passing light through a prism, which separates it into different wavelengths, or by changing the medium through which the light travels. For example, the frequency and wavelength of light can change when it passes from air to water, resulting in a change in its speed and direction.