1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Diff EQ using a Laplace Transform

1. May 6, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the initial value problem:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt} + 2y = u_2(t)e^{-t}[/tex]

y(0) = 3

Where [tex]u_2(t)[/tex] is a Heaviside Function with the discontinuity at t=2.

2. Relevant equations
    The Laplace transform of a Heaviside function multiplied by another function:

[tex] L( u_a(t)f((t-a) ) = e^{-as}L(f(t-a))[/tex] Where L denotes the laplace tranform of a function.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that in order to solve this equations using a laplace transform, I need to convert the RHS to the form of function in part 2. above. Once I do that I can take the Laplace Transform of both sides and then solve for L(y) and then y. I've been working at this for a while now, and I'm stuck on converting the RHS into a function whose transform I know. If I get this, then I can definitely do the rest of the problem. Any hints of converting this function into a workable form will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Figured it out! Thanks anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?