1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving differential equations (circular motion)

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a differential equation of the form

[itex]\frac{dZ}{d\theta} + cZ = a cos \theta + b sin \theta [/itex]

Where [itex]Z = \frac{1}{2}\dot{\theta}^{2}[/itex]

I need to find the general solution of this equation. a, b and c are all constants.

2. Relevant equations

The questions suggests using this to help:

[itex]\int e^{\lambda x} (a cos x + bsin x ) = \frac{1}{1+\lambda^2}e^{\lambda x}(\lambda (a cos x + b sin x) a sin x - b cos x) + C[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I just dont know how that integral is supposed to help me solve the equation. How does e become relevant to this function?

Im also a bit unsure about this.. If I integrate

[itex]\frac{1}{2}C \dot{\theta}^2[/itex]

with respect to θ, do I get

[itex]\frac{1}{2}C \theta ^2[/itex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The first step involves solving for ##Z## in terms of ##\theta##. Are you familiar with the technique of using an integrating factor? You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor

Multiply by the appropriate integrating factor, and the reason for the hint should become very clear.

No. Remember that ##\dot \theta## signifies a derivative wrt time. There's no (simple) relationship between the two expressions.

4. Apr 4, 2013 #3
    Thank you.

Ah. Yes, we've done integrating factors earlier in the course.

The integrating factor will be

[itex]e^{\int {c}} = e^{c\theta}[/itex]

multiplying by this gives

[itex]e^{c\theta} \frac{dZ}{d\theta} + C e^{c\theta} Z = e^{c\theta}(a cos \theta + b sin \theta)[/itex]

And then

[itex]\frac{d}{d\theta}(e^{c\theta}Z) = e^{c\theta}(a cos \theta + b sin \theta)[/itex]

And then I can integrate both sides and use the integral given as well as substituting back in for Z at the end and everything is finished.

However, I largely just followed a 'process solution' for this from my textbook. Im unsure how the LHS goes from

[itex]e^{c\theta} \frac{dZ}{d\theta} + C e^{c\theta} Z[/itex]

to

[itex]\frac{d}{d\theta}(e^{c\theta}Z)[/itex]

Can someone explain that to me please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted