1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Diode Equation for Current?

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the current, but not sure how to rearrange the equation because of the I in the exp.

2. Relevant equations

wmbeyd.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Thanks, just need to be pointed in the right direction. Seems like I will either be in ln or exp.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2
    Also, just a follow up question, the diode ideality constant... Is there a way to solve for it? My notes just say its between 1 - 1.5, Should I just assume its 1? The manufacturers data sheet does not mention a value for this.

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Because I appears on its own and as the argment of the exponential, you can't solve for it using elementary operations.

5. Oct 5, 2014 #4

Mark44

Are you talking about I0? That one you can solve for.

6. Oct 5, 2014 #5
    No, I'm talking about just I. So how would I go about finding it?

7. Oct 5, 2014 #6
    Using numerical methods

8. Oct 5, 2014 #7
    Thank you, I used newtons method on matlab, I think it should be correct :)

Also, do any of you have an idea about the diode ideality factor? Im trying to model a PV module in Matlab and the data sheet does not mention this. I read online that people tend to assume its just 1... Any ideas?

9. Oct 5, 2014 #8
    Nevermind!! After running through the code using different values (between 1 and 2), There is no difference in terms of the current... well either, it can be neglected or my code is wrong (I tried entering a large number, that affected the current)

10. Oct 6, 2014 #9

Mark44

Which variable is the diode ideality factor? That's what I was asking about in post #4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted