1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Distribution Functions

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the distribution function:

f(x) = A*sin^2(pi*x/L) for 0 < x < L
    = 0 for x elsewhere

Find the values for:
    A, mean x (x), most probable x (xmp) and root mean square x (xrms)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The professor has not shown us how to do a problem like this. So I am lost.

My guess at solving A would be to take the integral of f(x) and set it equal to 1. But I do not know what limits I should use on the integral (0 to inf or 0 to L?).

I think the most probable x would be + or - 1 standard deviation from the mean value? I don't know how to solve for that either.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When in doubt, go back to the definitions.

For starters, for a normalized distribution, [itex]f(x)[/itex] , you have

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)dx=1[/tex]

In this case, [itex]f(x)[/itex] is zero for most of the interval, and so the only non-zero contribution to this integral comes on the interval [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]L[/itex]...What does that give you for [itex]A[/itex]?

What are the definitions of "most probable value" and "root mean square x"?...Apply those definitions.

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    Does that mean I should integrate from 0 to L and normalize to 1 to solve for A?

I don't know what the 'definitions' are. Like I said, my professor did not teach this. That is why I am asking for help here. Could you provide a little more insight? Should I integrate x*f(x) to get the most probable value of x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook