Solving Equivalent Expressions Using Subtraction Method

In summary: You get:$-\dfrac{2x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x - 6}{x+1} = -\dfrac{2x^3}{x+1}-\dfrac{7x^2}{x+1}$In summary, according to the textbook, the two expressions are equivalent if and only if the difference between them is zero.
eleventhxhour
How do you determine if the two expressions are equivalent using the subtraction method?\(\displaystyle \frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6}{x+1} - [(2x^2+5x-10) + \frac{4}{x+1}] \)

The textbook says that they're equivalent. I know that, using the subtraction method, they have to equal 0 in order to be equivalent. But, I'm not getting that. This is what I've done so far:

\(\displaystyle 2x^2+7x-5-\frac{6}{x+1} - [(2x^2+5x-10) + \frac{4}{x+1}] \)

Then I'm not sure what to do...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eleventhxhour said:
How do you determine if the two expressions are equivalent using the subtraction method?\(\displaystyle \frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6}{x+1} - [(2x^2+5x-10) + \frac{4}{x+1}] \)

The textbook says that they're equivalent. I know that, using the subtraction method, they have to equal 0 in order to be equivalent. But, I'm not getting that. This is what I've done so far:

\(\displaystyle 2x^2+7x-5-\frac{6}{x+1} - [(2x^2+5x-10) + \frac{4}{x+1}] \)

Then I'm not sure what to do...
Start by putting everything over the denominator $x+1$. You have already slipped up by writing \(\displaystyle 2x^2+7x-5-\frac{6}{x+1}\) as though it is the same as \(\displaystyle \frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6}{x+1}\) (it isn't!). What you should find is that the expression is equal to $$\frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6 - \bigl[(2x^2+5x-10)(x+1) + 4\bigr]}{x+1}.$$

The next step (in fact, maybe this should have been the first step) is to get rid of the square brackets, noticing that there is a minus sign in front of them, which changes the sign of every term inside.

Opalg said:
Start by putting everything over the denominator $x+1$. You have already slipped up by writing \(\displaystyle 2x^2+7x-5-\frac{6}{x+1}\) as though it is the same as \(\displaystyle \frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6}{x+1}\) (it isn't!). What you should find is that the expression is equal to $$\frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6 - \bigl[(2x^2+5x-10)(x+1) + 4\bigr]}{x+1}.$$

The next step (in fact, maybe this should have been the first step) is to get rid of the square brackets, noticing that there is a minus sign in front of them, which changes the sign of every term inside.

This is what I got, but it's not equivalent...
\(\displaystyle \frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6}{x+1}-\frac{2x^3+5x^2-10x+4}{x+1}\)

eleventhxhour said:
This is what I got, but it's not equivalent...
\(\displaystyle \frac{2x^3+7x^2-5x-6}{x+1}-\frac{2x^3+5x^2-10x+4}{x+1}\)

You're doing it wrong. Forget about the minus sign for a minute and multiply out the brackets and collect 'like' terms.

How is it not the subtraction method? Isn't Opalg's expression the difference between the two expressions, just written with a common denominator?

I don't think my last post was very clear. My advice to multiply out brackets is to find all terms with the highest power of x, then then the terms with the next highest power and so on. So $(2x^2+5x-10)(x+1)+4$=$2x^3+7x^2-5x-6$ which is what you want

I think you are trying to "skip steps".

To get everything over a common denominator, we have to write:

$2x^2 + 5x - 10 = \dfrac{\text{something}}{x + 1}$.

The way to do this is to multiply by $1 = \dfrac{x+1}{x+1}$. That is:

$2x^2 + 5x - 10 = \dfrac{(2x^2 + 5x - 10)(x+1)}{x+1} = \dfrac{(2x^2 + 5x - 10)x + (2x^2 + 5x - 10)(1)}{x+1}$

$= \dfrac{2x^3 + 5x^2 - 10x + 2x^2 + 5x - 10}{x+1} = \dfrac{2x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x - 10}{x+1}$

ONLY NOW can we add the two terms:

$2x^2 + 5x - 10 + \dfrac{4}{x+1} = \dfrac{2x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x - 10}{x+1} + \dfrac{4}{x + 1} = \dfrac{2x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x - 6}{x+1}$.

Now what do you get when you subtract this from $\dfrac{2x^3 + 7x^2 - 5x - 6}{x+1}$?

Related to Solving Equivalent Expressions Using Subtraction Method

What is the subtraction method for solving equivalent expressions?

The subtraction method is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve equivalent expressions. It involves subtracting the same number or term from both sides of an equation until the desired expression is reached.

Why is the subtraction method useful for solving equivalent expressions?

The subtraction method is useful because it allows us to manipulate and simplify expressions in a systematic way. It also helps us find the value of variables and solve equations.

What are the steps involved in using the subtraction method to solve equivalent expressions?

The steps for using the subtraction method are:1. Identify the terms on both sides of the equation.2. Choose a term to eliminate.3. Subtract that term from both sides of the equation.4. Simplify the resulting expression.5. Repeat steps 2-4 until the desired expression is reached.

Can the subtraction method be used for all types of equations?

Yes, the subtraction method can be used for solving equivalent expressions in all types of equations, including linear, quadratic, and exponential equations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the subtraction method?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the subtraction method include:- Forgetting to subtract the same term from both sides of the equation.- Making a mistake when simplifying the resulting expression.- Choosing the wrong term to eliminate.- Not repeating the process until the desired expression is reached.