Solving for a constant in a power

In summary, the conversation was about solving for the constant z0 in a formula for calculating velocity at a desired height. The formula involved logarithms and the user was struggling to remember how to solve for powers involving logs. With the help of another user, they were able to determine the value of z0 using the given values in the formula.
Anti-alias

Homework Statement

Hi all, this isn't exactly a homework question (I'm a law student long out of high school maths!) but has arisen in the context of some of my legal work analysing the difference in height of windspeeds re: wind turbines.

The "problem" is solve for the constant z0.

Homework Equations

The main formula is as follows:

vh = vref . (h/href)^(1/(ln(h/z0)), where vh = velocity at desired height, vref = velocity at measured height, h = desired height, href = measured height, z0 = aerodynamic roughness.

After inserting a known answer from a previous calculation, the formula reduces to:

(6.4/4.56) = 13.125^(1/(ln(105/z0))

The Attempt at a Solution

As I stated earlier, I'm a couple of years out of high school maths and cannot remember for the life of me how to solve for powers involving logs themselves. I can barely remember the simplest of log rules.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks all,
AA

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Anti-alias said:
(6.4/4.56) = 13.125(1/(ln(105/z0))

Hi Anti-alias ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Let's see … 6.4/4.56 = 1.4035.

So 1.4035 = 13.125(1/(ln(105) - ln(z0)))

= e(ln(13.125))(1/(ln(105) - ln(z0)))

so ln(1.4035) = (ln(13.125))/(ln(105) - ln(z0))

so (ln(105) - ln(z0) = ln(13.125)/ln(1.4035)

so ln(z0) = ln(105) - ln(13.125)/ln(1.4035)

so z0 = 105/eln(13.125)/ln(1.4035) :smile:

You're a legend tiny tim, huge thanks :approve:

What is a constant in a power?

A constant in a power is a number that remains the same throughout an equation or expression. It does not have any variables or exponents attached to it.

Why is it important to solve for a constant in a power?

Solving for a constant in a power can help simplify an equation or expression and make it easier to understand. It can also help in finding the exact value of a variable or determining the behavior of a function.

How do you solve for a constant in a power?

To solve for a constant in a power, you need to isolate the constant term on one side of the equation and move all other terms to the other side. Then, you can use basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to solve for the constant.

Can a constant in a power be a negative number?

Yes, a constant in a power can be a negative number. This means that the constant will be multiplied by itself a certain number of times, depending on the exponent, and the resulting value will be negative.

What is the difference between a constant and a coefficient in a power?

A constant in a power is a number that remains the same throughout the equation, while a coefficient is a number that is multiplied by a variable or another term. In other words, a constant does not change, while a coefficient can vary depending on the value of the variable.