Solving for coefficient of friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
tep
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. a worker can supply a maximum pull of 150 lb on a cart w/c has a handle set at an angle of 40° above the horizontal. what is the coefficient of friction if he can just move a total load of 1500 lb ?



2. μ = Ff/mg



3. so i solved it by 150sin(40) divide by 1500cos(40), but I'm not sure if it is correct... please help :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's answer ... please show your working and your reasoning.
Without this information I cannot help you properly.
I don't think you've summed the forces properly but I don't know.

i.e.: you did: 1500cos(40) - how did you decide to do that? What does that figure represent?
Did you draw a free-body diagram? What?